Pivo's Most Unheralded College Football Players
10) Jared Siegel. PK, Oregon - Duck fans certainly know about Siegel, but the rest of the country may not. He's 12/13 on field goals this season including ones from 52, 53, and 59 yards... if he keeps it up he could be All-American and a candidate for the Lou Groza Award awarded to the nation's best kicker.
9) Lynaris Elpheage, DB, Tulane - seven interceptions leads nation. 8) Adam Hal, QB, San Diego State - Good quarterback on a horrible team. Aztecs are 1-6. Hall is averaging 350 yards passing per game. True, he is usually in comeback mode, but his TD to interception ratio is pretty good at 12/5.
7) Fisher Deberry, Head Coach - Air Force- I'm going off the board with this one by choosing a Head Coach. While the other service academies aren't good at all, Deberry continues to produce great teams. The Falcons are 6-0 going into this weekend's game against Notre Dame. By the way Air Force is favored by 3-points.
6) Cliff Washburn, DE - The Citadel - First year playing football after starting a Citadel record 102 games for the basketball team. At 6-7, 270 pounds he is turning into a force on the football field. Four sacks this past weekend, giving him seven for the season.
5) Eli Manning. QB, Ole Miss - I know Manning isn't an unknown commodity... but he's re-writing the Ole Miss record book. The junior has 43 career touchdowns...his dad only had 31.
2) Charles Rodgers, WR, Michigan State - Prior to this past weekend he had scored in 14 straight games...quite possibly the lone bright spot in what's turning out to be a poor season for the Spartans.
1) Terrell Suggs, DE, Arizona State - The most dominating defensive player in the Pac-10...Oregon better know where No. 48 is at all times Saturday - has recorded 12 sacks already this season - 32 for his career. He's from Minneapolis, Arizona...talk about a contrast of terms.
Ron Pivo is a Sports Reporter and Anchor for KGW Northwest NewsChannel 8, in Portland and can be seen weekdays. Ron's prior experience includes working as a sports reporter and anchor at KMTR-TV(NBC) in Eugene, as Sports Director at KOBI-TV(NBC) in Medford and as Sports Director at KPIC-TV(CBS) in Roseburg.
A native of Encino, California, Pivo graduated from California State University-Northridge with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Broadcast Journalism and a Minor in Sociology. Ron and his wife Joanna have one cat, named Winston. In his spare time, Ron enjoys golfing, listening to music and spending quality time with his family.
Ron is happy to hear from readers, whether you agree or disagree. Click on Pivo and tell Ron what you think.