The Ducks hit Pape Field Friday evening amid a heat wave that reached well over 100 degrees and focused primarily on technique and proper practice habits for all areas of the game. The team was in shorts, jerseys, and helmets. It was a very light but tough practice as the Ducks prepared for Saturday's scrimmage. Here are a few notes from Friday evening's sessions that didn't include much big highlights but more solid overall effort.
* Sophomore QB Nate Costa hit a streaking Junior TE Ed Dickson up the seam for a perfect pass during an early seven on seven drill. This has been a common accordance during summer drills and it appears Costa and Dickson have developed a good sense of each other and where they need to be on the field to make the most of the play.
* Sophomore JC transfer Jeremiah Mosoli didn't seem bothered by his wrist at all during throwing drills and on one particular play he threw a very pretty ball to fellow Sophomore Jeffery Maehl for 40 yards that would have gone for a touchdown if in a game situation.
* Freshman William Wallace seemed to have the best day out of all the defensive backs as he nabbed two interceptions during 11 on 11 drills and added numerous deflections. It appears almost every day someone different steps up and has a great practice in the defensive backfield. The depth at the DB spots is a very lucky item to have this early in the season.
* Senior Jaison Williams and freshman Garrett Embry both showed great concentration when going over the middle as both players made impressive catches while being smothered by a defensive back. Williams' catch in particular was a great was as junior Walter Thurmond was blanketing him for every step and Williams was able to use his large frame to block off Thurmond and haul in the strike across the middle before getting popped by an opposing linebacker.
* Sophomore transfer Jamere Holland showed off his world-class speed once again as he took a screen pass during an 11 on 11 drill and set his blocking up and proceeded to blow by everyone as he raced down the sideline for a score.
* Freshman John Boyett drew praise from Defensive Back Coach John Neal as he made a great play and broke up the pass and thus getting a screaming Neal to say, "Yes John! You've improved today! Yes! Build on this day!"
Boyett had a good day today much like Wallace did but he wasn't all over the field as much as Wallace so he doesn't get my nod for best DB of the day.
* The Ducks spent a lot of time working on all the areas of special teams today and onlookers got a great lesson from Defensive Coordinator Nick Allotti on how to be the up back for the punt team. Allotti spent a lot of time with Junior LaGarrette Blount, Sophomore Kenny Rowe, and freshman Eddie Pleasant on how to block a rusher properly. His coached had special teams coach Tom Osborne in awe when the head special teams coach examined the three players. Allotti may draw a lot of flack for being a yeller and getting into kids but watching that session really showed how much he cares for the players on a personal level to improve.
* 2010 Commit Curtis White was on hand for the morning practice per an onlooker at practice I chatted with.
Friday Afternoon Notes
eDuck Top Stories
Oregon OC Matt Lubick on WednesdayThe Oregon Ducks (2-5, 0-4) will play the Arizona State Sun Devils (5-3, 2-3) on Saturday at Autzen Stadium in a game that will kickoff at 2:00 p.m. On Wednesday Oregon offensive…
eDuckYesterday at 2:19 PM
Scout Picks Ducks to Win ConferenceCalling Dillon Brooks the "best player in the conference," Scout.com picks Oregon the win the Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball race this season.
Scout CBKYesterday at 2:06 PM
Know Your Foe: Arizona StateWe asked Chris Karpman of Sun Devil Source, Scout.com's ASU site, five questions about the Sun Devils as the Oregon-ASU game nears on Saturday, Oct. 29.
eDuckYesterday at 2:03 PM
Oregon OL Cam Hunt on Oct 25Oregon will take on Arizona State on Saturday at Autzen Stadium starting at 2 p.m. Pacific. On Tuesday, Oregon OL Cam Hunt spoke to media following practice.
eDuckTuesday at 4:10 PM
Oregon WR Charles Nelson on Oct 25On Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016 Oregon wide receiver Charles Nelson answered media question following practice. Oregon is preparing for Arizona State in game that will be played on…
eDuckTuesday at 3:02 PM