- I've heard that the recruiting visits from last weekend "went well."
- That being said, some visits were even made to 2012 prospects during these visits especially with Bradley and McQueary. Also, as we have seen there has been more news with 2012 kids getting interest from Penn State.
- I am hearing this is part of the overall philosophy on recruiting right now. Penn State is being very aggressive on the 2012 kids, and may even be willing to carry some scholarships over from this year if they don't get the kids they want for the 2011 class.
I know as well as you guys that this would be a first, but I'm told it is a very real possibility this year. The thought is that the northeast was just not very good as a recruiting region this year, but next year is much more talented.
- I know this is going to be a small class for Penn State this year, and not being able to fill it might appear bad. But I am totally on board with the theory of not taking guys you really don't want just to have warm bodies on hand. The word I am hearing is that two or three guys Penn State really wanted, they weren't able to pull in, but other than that they are still in it for the other kids they want.
- Look for Penn State to possibly look at Ohio very hard next year. Ohio State is short on scholarships next year and the state of Ohio is very deep next year, especially at some important positions. There are two high end safeties in Ohio that Penn State could have a shot at and probably five to seven defensive ends in Ohio for next year that will be available. Michigan has already been trying to poach in on these 2012 Ohio kids, and Penn State is hoping to do the same.
- The added attention to 2012 has nothing to do with the coaching situation or coaches trying to set themselves up for a move to another program. I was told it has everything to do with the talent level in 2011 vs. 2012 in the northeast.
- To answer a question about JUCO kids, I am told that PSU is targeting a few JUCO kids. Penn State has offered former USC DB Byron Moore and Iowa JUCO OL/DL Jared Ebert. I will try to catch up with these kids to see where PSU stands with them, but it appears both are realistic options at this point.
- Last but not least, one of the players I hinted about months ago that was committed elsewhere but still interested in PSU is now possibly coming out as true. I am hearing that DB Albert Louis-Jean is tentatively scheduled to take a visit to Penn State next weekend for the Michigan game. I wouldn't expect a lot of news about this, especially directly from Louis-Jean, because he has not seemed willing to publicly discuss anyone but Miami (where he is verbally committed).
Cory's PSU Recruiting Notebook
Below are news and notes on Penn State's recruiting efforts from FOS Recruiting Analyst Cory James:
Fight On State Top Stories
James Franklin Pre-Purdue Press ConferenceSee what the coach of the No. 24 Nittany Lions has to say as his team prepares to face the Boilermakers.
Fight On State9:27 AM
FOS Blitz: Purdue Defense vs. PSU OffensePlaybookMark and Nirav Dalal talk about the No. 24 Nittany Lions' road trip to take on the Boilermakers.
Fight On StateYesterday at 6:17 PM
South's No. 1 ’18 ILB Has "Awesome" PSU VisitAfter watching the Nittany Lions upset No. 2 Ohio State behind a strong defensive effort, Dax Hollifield said, "That's the kind of football I'd like to play."
Scout FootballYesterday at 1:17 PM
Penn State White Out Recruiting RoundupWe are gathering all of our recruiting content stemming from the Nittany Lions huge upset of Ohio State in one place. Check back often for updates.
Fight On StateYesterday at 12:00 PM