Penn State's head coach covered a wide array of topics, but here are some of more notable items he discussed:
- He confirmed that quarterback Paul Jones is academically ineligible and will be unable to play this coming season.
- Although Curtis Drake recently told FOS he feels ready to go in drills, Paterno said he is not sure when Drake will back from a leg injury.
- He said defensive ends Jack Crawford and Eric Latimore should be healthy and are expected to be ready for for preseason work next week. Both missed spring drills with injuries.
- He explained that defensive tackle Evan Hailes is still being evaluated health-wise. He has a respiratory ailment the medical staff has been treating and monitoring.
- He said fullback Zach Zwinak is good to go and healthy, recovering from ACL surgery he had last fall. That is a change in prognosis since the spring.
- He mentioned tight end Andrew Szczerba is good to go this preseason after dealing with some chronic back issues.
- He also explained that tight end Garry Gilliam is still out and recovering from the ACL tear he sustained last seasons in the Iowa contest.
He explained he knows he can handle things physically. He wants to show he is sharp at decision making in games, as well.
Stay tuned to FightOnState.com for continuing coverage of the Penn State football team.