Thursday's practice was initially expected to be held indoors, but the practice fields were dry enough to hold it outdoors. Here are some notes from the session:
- QBs Rob Bolden and Matt McGloin continued splitting their reps with the first team, primarily against the foreign squad. Their work mostly focused on intermediate passing, check-downs and hand-offs.
- At this stage the staff appears to have not made any major moves that would signify a starter at QB.
- Joe Paterno did not announce Bolden as the starter in 2010 until the evening of Wednesday, Sept. 1, three days before the opener. Most observers expect a similar time frame for announcing the starter this year.
- The quarterbacks seemed to work most with WRs Derek Moye, Justin Brown, Devon Smith and Shawney Kersey, and also got some passing work in with the tight ends.
- The backfield saw Silas Redd return after a "minor leg injury." He continued splitting first-team reps with Brandon Beachum at tailback. Joey Suhey and Michael Zordich got all of the first-team work at fullback. Redd and Beachum both had a few "nice 10-plus yard runs. But the staff limited Redd's work.
- As reported previously, Stephfon Green has been allowed to return to the squad. "He'll be with the scout [team] at least for a bit," an observer said. Green was said to be "pretty quiet" in the locker room and "not his talkative self."
- The offensive line is shaping up as follows:
Troutman was manning the left guard spot much of the preseason, but "he's got to buckle it up." This is why the staff is rotating him with Kolb and Pannell at this late stage.
- The defensive line has settled into a basic eight man rotation with Jack Crawford, Eric Latimore, Sean Stanley and C.J. Olaniyan at the end positions, and Devon Still, Jordan Hill, James Terry and DaQuan Jones at tackle.
- Michael Mauti and Gerald Hodges are on the outside linebacker spots with MLB Glenn Carson getting back into some drills after sitting out a period with a "minor knee thing."
- LB coach Ron Vanderlinden is expected to also rotate players like Nate Stupar, Khairi Fortt and Mike Hull into the lineup.
- The secondary continued to see Chaz Powell, Stephon Morris and D'Anton Lynn at cornerback, with Nick Sukay and Drew Astorino at safety.