Wolverines Ease by Penn State 7-3

The Nittany Lions are still searching for their first Big Ten win after falling to No. 10 Michigan.

There have been near misses and missed chances in Penn State's quest for its first Big Ten hockey win. Friday night, there were plenty of missed chances, yet it was hardly a close affair.

No. 10 Michigan stormed in and out of Pegula Ice Arena with a convincing 7-3 victory, aided by two goals in each of the first two periods. That included Andrew Copp's first of two goals at the 5:52 mark of the second that served as the game-winner and chased Lions' starting goalie Eamon McAdam to the bench.

State has been outscored 32-13 in the middle frame this season. After Casey Bailey and Eric Scheid scored 1:01 apart to erase a 2-0 Michigan lead at the end of one, the home side nearly grabbed its first lead of the night when defenseman Connor Varley's shot slipped by Michigan goaltender Zach Nagelvoort (33 saves) for an apparent goal.

Ultimately, the tally was wiped off the board - it never crossed the goal line - and Copp's goal was followed by two unanswered Michigan scores before Zach Saar put an end to State's bleeding with a late third-period goal. It went for naught, though, as Hyman and Coop each added their second goals of the game to reach the final margin.

"I thought we did a tremendous job, and had all the momentum in our favor, and I know [Varley's shot] wasn't a goal but we had all the momentum and that was a great chance," Penn State coach Guy Gadowsky said. "I thought we weren't giving up much at all."

So why did he pull McAdam in favor of P.J. Musico?

"I know we didn't give up much at all, and it seemed like it was a harmless wrist shot at the time" Gadowsky said. "I think that was definitely the turning point of the game. I thought the time was right to try and make a change and get us spurred on again."

Penn State and Michigan square off again Saturday at Pegula with a 5 p.m. face-off scheduled to be televised by ESPNU.

Fight On State Top Stories