NCAA Lifts Most Sanctions vs. Penn State

The Nittany Lions are eligible for the postseason this year and will have all scholarships back beginning with the Class of 2015.

Just before one of Penn State's summer camp sessions in July, Penn State coach James Franklin tapped a reporter on the shoulder, looked him in the eye, and said, “Do you know where I can get some more scholarships?”

The Nittany Lions were in the middle of a run of verbal commitments, but with NCAA sanctions limiting them to 20 slots for the Class of 2015, they were quickly running out of space. So Franklin was joking with the scribe.

The writer laughed and said, “That may take care of itself.” Franklin smiled and was on his way.

As it turned out, it did take care of itself, in a way.

Monday, the NCAA announced that all scholarship and postseason penalties against Penn State stemming from the Sandusky scandal have been wiped out.

It did so via a release that said:

“Due to Penn State University's significant progress toward ensuring its athletics department functions with integrity, the NCAA Executive Committee today eliminated the school's postseason ban, effective immediately, and will return the full complement of football scholarships in 2015-16.”

The decision was based on the recommendations of the latest report from PSU athletics integrity monitor George Mitchell.

Shortly after the news broke, Penn State senior guard Miles Dieffenbach tweeted, "Thank you to all the former and current players who stood by us. Also want to thank our incredible fans!

Receivers coach Josh Gattis, who joined the program with new head man James Franklin earlier this year, also took to Twitter to react to the news: "Today is a memorable day for these young men! The men who stayed together for each other! Today Penn State is back!


Fight On State Top Stories