TURNING POINT: When holder Jason Ganter noticed the FSU defense overloading the right side, he called off a planned fake field goal pointed in that direction in triple overtime. His audible led to Kevin Kelly's 29-yard game-winner.
NUMBERS GAME: The game covered 4:45 of real time. Talk about a marathon.
SPECIAL DELIVERY: Willie Reid's Orange Bowl record 87-yard punt return for a TD awakened a sluggish Seminole team and crowd in the second quarter.
WHAT'S UP WITH: Kelly picking an inopportune time to struggle, missing two potential game-winners before making the final one?
BLOCK PARTY: FB BranDon Snow cracked back on a defensive end to free up Robinson for an early 25-yard flip to Kilmer. It gave PSU momentum on the game's first touchdown drive. Snow was knocked form the game with an injury in the second half and it hurt the Lion running game.
HEADS-UP: Wideout Deon Butler made a great open-field tackle after FSU cornerback Tony Carter picked off a Robinson bomb late in the first quarter. Butler is a converted DB himself.
A LEG UP: Jeremy Kapinos hit a 54-yard punt that went out of bounds at the FSU 3 late in the first half. It led to a quick three and out and the Lions responded with a short-field TD (see Kilmer note above).
HIDDEN HERO: Norwood had six catches for a game-high 110 yards.
LOST IN THE SHUFFLE: How big was FSU kicker Gary Cismesia's missed extra point in the second quarter?
DID YOU NOTICE:
• That PSU star freshman receiver Derrick Williams dressed for the game and warmed up but did not play? Williams broke his arm in the Oct. 15 Michigan game.
• Paul Cronin, allegedly banished from the team during the season for off-field issues, made a surprise appearance in the third quarter and played the rest of the way as a dime back.
• That there was no horse on the field before the game? Traveler, an FSU mascot typically ridden by Chief Osceola, drew the ire of Lion coach Joe Paterno prior to the 1990 Blockbuster Bowl game between these two schools in this very stadium.
• The SWAT snipers who took up spots around the stadium prior to the game?
• That PSU Heisman Trophy winner John Cappelletti, inducted into the Orange Bowl Hall of Honor prior to the game, received a huge ovation from the pro Penn State crowd?
• That Todd Blackledge, Cuncho Brown, Ki-Jana Carter, Jimmy Cefalo, Shane Conlan, David Daniels, Chafie Fields, Brian Gelzheiser, Reggie Givens, Shelly Hammonds, Leonard Humphries, Bryant Johnson, Larry Johnson, David Macklin, O.J. McDuffie, Rich McKenzie, Vin Stewart, Blair Thomas and Leroy Thompson were among the other former Lions in the house?
UNANSWERED QUESTION: When are we going to get a college football playoff?
Have you created a FREE MEMBERSHIP ACCOUNT to FightOnState.com yet? A FREE membership allows you to view and post on our free message boards. It also gives you priority access to the boards should we have to limit access due to site overload.