It will be an 84-page bound issue, with full color from cover to cover. The entire special collector's item issue is dedicated to the 1986 team — every story, every photo, every page, every word — so you want to make sure you get you copy.
And here is the good news: If you are already an FOS Annual Total Access Pass or magazine-only member, you will receive the special issue as part of your normal subscription. Current annual TAP members often ask when we're going to run a special promotion that includes them. Well, this is it.
If you are NOT an annual TAP subscriber, you can get in on the action by upgrading from a monthly account or starting a new annual subscription within the next few days. The deadline for ordering and receiving this special issue is closing fast so do not delay.
And new subscribers and upgrades can also receive a free book — Penn State's 2005 Championship Season — by using the promotional code GoLions06.
You can order by visiting our secure online store at this link or by calling our Customer Service Center at 888-501-5752.
In the meantime, here is part of what you will find in our special issue devoted to the 1986 national title team:
• Nearly 20 pages of previously unseen behind-the-scenes photos of the Fiesta Bowl taken by former Good Morning America host David Hartman. See what went down in the Penn State locker room before the game and at halftime. Get a feel for what it was like to be among the players and coaches on the Nittany Lion sideline. And see the amazing images from the post-game locker room celebration, as Joe Paterno, Shane Conlan, D.J. Dozier, John Shaffer, Tim Manoa, Tim Johnson and all of the heroes of the national championship game rejoiced in the greatest win in Penn State history.
• Penn State sports historian Lou Prato takes you through the 1986 regular season game by game, recounting in meticulous detail the Nittany Lions' march to the nation title showdown with Miami. There were extremely close calls along the way, but Penn State prevailed every time out.
• Prato also lets you in on everything that happened leading up to the Duel in the Desert and during the game. From the Hurricanes arriving in fatigues, to the infamous encounter at the Steak Fry, to the pregame tension, recall all of the drama that was the 1987 Fiesta Bowl. Of course, he recaps the big game, as well.
• Matt Herb tells the story of punter John Bruno, the Fiesta Bowl hero who died of skin cancer six short years after the Nittany Lions won the 1986 national championship. Bruno's friends and family rallied after his untimely death, and you'll want to see the great cause that came out of the tragedy.
• All-American linebacker Shane Conlan gives a first-person account of his Penn State career and his outstanding performance in the Fiesta Bowl. Yes, he went on to an outstanding career in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills. But learn why he will always be a Nittany Lion first and foremost.
• We catch up former Penn State and Washington Redskins defensive tackle Tim Johnson. A terror on the field, Johnson has become a man of God off it. He is now a pastor.
• Nittany Lion fullback Tim Manoa was known for his bruising style while at Penn State. Now, however, he has a different focus; Manoa is running an acclaimed speed clinic for young athletes, with his company based in Cleveland.
• Remember the great series of posters featuring seven Penn State seniors that was released not long after the 1987 Fiesta Bowl? We sure do. We catch up with the agent who came up with the idea for the posters, find out what went down the day they were shot, give the lowdown on the banned poster few have ever seen and let you know how you can order original prints of the posters that were available to the public.
• We provide an update on every Penn State starter and coach from the Fiesta Bowl. What is everyone doing now? Pick up this special magazine to find out.
• Check out the official play-by-play statistics, verbatim, kept by the stat crew at Sun Devil Stadium for the 1987 Fiesta Bowl. That's right, we tracked them down and typed them in. You will never lose an argument over the big game again.
Again, if you are already an FOS Annual TAP subscriber or magazine-only subscriber, you don't have to do anything to get this special issue. So long as your subscription has not expired, you will receive this issue automatically.
However, if you are a monthly TAP subscriber or a frequent visitor to our site, this is most definitely a prime time to take the annual TAP plunge.
An annual Total Access Pass to FightOnState.com is actually a money-saver. For $99.95 for the entire year, you will receive unlimited access to our site and the Scout.com network, 10 issues of our glossy magazine — including the special 1986 commemorative issue — Scout's fall and spring recruiting guides and more.
And if you are a new subscriber or upgrading from a monthly pass, you can use the code GoLions06 to receive a free book along with everything else.
You can subscriber at at this link or by calling 888-501-5752.