Michigan: Game Review

Get updates during the Penn State-Michigan clash right here from FightOnState.com's Rob Riva. Check back regularly for his updates and analysis from the game.


Consistent with the first three games of the season, the Penn State Nittany Lions' offense came out to a slow start. And, as equally as consistent, the Penn State defense remained stout.

After receiving the kickoff, Penn State went three and out and was forced to punt. After moving the ball to just inside Penn State territory, Dan Connor and Tyrell Sales assisted on a sack of Ryan Mallett on third down.

On the first play of Penn State's possession off the punt, Anthony Morelli fumbled the ball and Chris Graham took the ball to Penn State's 10-yard line.

Two plays later, Mallett scampered into the endzone on a 10-yard run after all of his receivers were covered.

After a reversed fumble call on Jordan Norwood, Penn State started to move the ball down-field but after a dropped pass by Austin Scott in the flat and a sack by Morelli, Jeremy Boone was forced to punt.

Boone punted the ball with precision as it went out of bound inside the Michigan five-yard line.

The quarter ended with the Wolverines leading 7-0.


Penn State started off the second half when Dan Connor put pressure on Ryan Mallett and put Michigan in a fourth-and-long position.

Anthony Morelli moved the ball down the field with long passes to Terrell Golden and Andrew Quarless. The pass to Quarless brought Penn State to the Michigan 15 yard line.

On the ensuing third down, Morelli missed Deon Butler on a quick slant which led to a 28-yard Kevin Kelly field goal.

Mike Hart gained momentum as Michigan relied on him to move the ball after the ensuing kick-off to down inside the Penn State 15-yard line. Despite the solid field position, the Penn State defense forced the Wolverines to attempt a field goal to which the Michigan kicker nailed the right upright and no points on the 16-play drive.

With about 2:00 left in the half, Penn State went three and out after Morelli missed Derrick Williams on a third-and-one play, giving the ball back to Michigan.

Michigan moved the ball down the field to the Penn State 30-yard line, but facing third-and-ten, Lydell Sargeant picked off a Mallett pass and returned it to mid-field. Morelli took a knee to end the half with the score 7-3 in favor of Michigan.


First Downs: PSU 6, Michigan 13
Rushing Yards: PSU 31, Michigan 90
Passing Yards: PSU 85, Michigan 94
Mike Hart: 18 carries, 76 yards
Anthony Morelli: 7 of 12 for 85 yards and two sacks
Ryan Mallett: 8 of 19 for 94 yards and one INT
Offensive Plays: Michigan 45, Penn State 30


The story of the second half was both Michigan and Penn State not capitalizing on the opposing team's mistakes.

Penn State held the Michigan offense to a quick first possession off the kickoff. On Penn State's ensuing possession, the Nittany Lions went three-and-out.

On Penn State's second offensive possession of the third quarter, Morelli and company moved the ball well down the field, including a big run after shedding some tackles.

However, the Penn State offense lost momentum when Scott fumbled the ball on the Michigan 10-yard yard line.

Despite the change in circumstances after the Scott fumble, A.J. Wallace recovered a fumble on a botched snap on Michigan's 35-yard line.

Penn State then converted a fourth-and-one on the possession leading from the Wallace fumble recovery. After a pass interference call on an attempted pass to Andrew Quarless, Penn State was unable to get into the endzone. Kevin Kelly finished the drive with a field goal to bring the score to 7-6 in favor of Michigan.


Michigan marched down the field and threatened to score inside the Penn State 20-yard line. The Penn State defense looked solid as they continued to limit the Wolverines' options in the endzone.

However, Lydell Sargeant was called for pass interference placing the ball on the two-yard line. This set up Mike Hart, who ran the ball in for a touchdown to bring the score to 14-6 in favor of Michigan.

On the ensuing kickoff, Penn State marched down the field, led by a big run by Rodney Kinlaw, which brought the Nittany Lions inside the Michigan 20-yard line. However, Penn State was unable to capitalize yet again on the favorable field position, and Kevin Kelly hit his third field goal of the game, putting the score at 14-9.

On a key third-and-long, Ryan Mallett avoided pressure and connected a 12-yard pass for a first down. Ultimately, that would be the nail in the coffin for Penn State.

After Michigan ran more time off the clock, they punted to Penn State with under 2:00 remaining in the game. On the first two offensive plays of the possession, Morelli was forced to throw the ball out of bounds. Facing third-and-long, Morelli threw an incomplete pass. On Penn State's last effort, Morelli threw an incompletion intended for Jordan Norwood.

Ryan Mallett took a knee to drain the remaining time off the clock to seal the win for Michigan, with the final score 14-9.


Fight On State Top Stories