OSU: Game Review

With an uninspired defensive effort and an inconsistent offensive performance, Penn State lost to No. 1 Ohio State 37-17 at Beaver Stadium Saturday night. Get a review of the game from Rob Riva.


In front of a crowd of over 110,000 fans at Beaver Stadium, No. 25 Penn State faced off against No. 1 Ohio State Saturday night.

After PSU won the toss and deferred to the second half, Ohio State received the ball and smoothly moved down the field against the Penn State defense. The Lions eventually held and forced a 50-yard field goal try. With the wind at his back, Ohio State's Ryan Pretorius nailed the kick to get Ohio State out to an early 3-0 lead.

Penn State then moved the ball down the field with a balanced attack of run and pass plays. After a big pass completion to Andrew Quarless to inside the Ohio State 5-yard line, quarterback Anthony Morelli handed off to Rodney Kinlaw, who ran behind Dan Lawlor for the score, putting Penn State ahead 7-3.

It did not take long for Ohio State to respond. The Buckeyes charged down the field on a drive that ended with a Brian Robieskie touchdown catch, putting Ohio State back on top 10-7.

OSU had the ball to start the second quarter, as well as a 10-7 lead.


Brian Hartline caught a touchdown pass for Ohio State to extend the Buckeyes' lead to 17-7.

With the ball back on offense, PSU redshirt freshman tailback Evan Royster saw his first action of the game. However, Royster injured his knee shortly thereafter and left the field. Ultimately, Penn State ended up punting.

Despite facing third-and-long from inside their own 10-yard line, the Buckeyes were able to convert with a 28-yard pass for the first down. Penn State showed little ability to stop the Buckeyes' offense, with Ohio State switching up its formations and play calls.

Penn State got a spark on defense when Dan Connor intercepted a pass with about 4:00 left in the quarter. However, the Nittany Lions were unable to capitalize on the turnover.

Ohio State maintained the lead going into the half, 17-7.


Ohio State added to its lead late in the third quarter when facing third-and-2 inside the Penn State 20-yard line, Jake Ballard caught a touchdown on following play-action fake. With the score, the Buckeyes were on top 24-7.

Penn State was able to chip away at the lead with a Kevin Kelly field goal with under 2:00 remaining in the quarter.

The Buckeyes headed into the third quarter with a 24-10 lead.


Ohio State piled it on in the fourth quarter and walked out of Happy Valley unscathed with a resounding 37-17 victory over the Nittany Lions.

The Buckeyes added two field goals and an interception by Malcolm Jenkins for a touchdown. The interception sent Anthony Morelli to the bench and backup Daryll Clark came in.

While it was too little too late, A.J. Wallace returned a kickoff for a 97-yard touchdown as the game neared its end, upping Penn State's score to 17.


Fight On State Top Stories