OSU: Penn State Runs Past Buckeyes

Once the Nittany Lions wrestled the lead away from the Buckeyes in Columbus, they had little trouble holding onto it.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The meeting was almost over. But Penn State quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno had one more thing to get across to the Nittany Lion offense.

He pulled out a DVD of Illinois' last drive against Ohio State during the Illini's upset win over the then-No. 1 Buckeyes last year.

“They ran the clock out,” Paterno said. “And they ran the ball, ran the ball, ran the ball. And we talked about that.”

The No. 3 Nittany Lions (9-0) took the video to heart in the fourth quarter here Saturday night, killing nearly eight minutes of clock time on two separate drives, almost exclusively by running the ball. That all but ended Ohio State's chances of a late comeback because it forced the Buckeyes to use their remaining timeouts, giving Penn State a 13-6 win.

In the huddle, surrounded by the largest crowd in Ohio Stadium history, the clock was winding down and left guard Rich Ohrnberger and wide receiver Derrick Williams remembered what they saw earlier.

“Derrick came into the huddle after Rich started talking and said 'I know it sounds corny, but Jay showed us that video today and that's exactly what we're going to do.' And we went out an executed,” redshirt sophomore quarterback Pat Devlin said.

It was Devlin, not Daryll Clark, who led the Penn State down the field during its final key possessions, both of which ended in points — a touchdown and a Kevin Kelly field goal that turned a 6-3 deficit into the 13-6 win.

Clark appeared to have been hit in the head late in the third quarter. He was slow to get up but finished the drive, which ended on a Kelly missed field goal from 45 yards.

Though Clark played into the fourth quarter, team doctors noticed he was a bit wobbly and eventually benched him.

“I don't think he knew where he was,” Paterno said.

“Pat was real big,” running back Stephfon Green said. “He just came in and acted like nothing happened.”

Devlin entered the game at a high-pressure moment. Ohio State was leading 6-3 and had a third-and-1 from the 50-yard line with just under 11 minutes left.

Buckeye quarterback Terrelle Pryor went for a keeper, but when he saw the gut was clogged he tried to bounce outside. He was approaching the first-down line when PSU safety Mark Rubin punched the ball the loose. The ball went backward, with players from both teams failing to fall on it.

Pryor seemed to have a good angle to scoop it up, but PSU linebacker Tyrell Sales alertly punched it away. Fellow linebacker Navorro Bowman eventually fell on it, giving Penn State the football on the Ohio State 38-yard line.

“I just wanted to make a sure tackle,” Rubin said. “I knew it was third-and-short, so I didn't want to let him get the first down.”

Enter Devlin, who handed to Royster on first down and then drew a pass interference call on second down.

Devlin ended that drive by running behind center A.Q. Shipley twice from the 1-yard line. Both times he appeared to cross the goal line, and even when the officials credited him with the touchdown, it took several seconds to indicate he scored.

“Don't get me started on that officiating,” Penn State head coach Joe Paterno said.

After the two teams met at the big red block “O” at midfield, Devlin led his Penn State teammates to the corner of the field where Penn State fans were sitting and began to slap high fives with the fans along the railings.

One by one, players sprinted from the 50-yard line to congratulate the fans who saw Penn State improve to 9-0.

Fight On State Top Stories