They were also assigned roommates and room in Nittany Hall, the official dorm for the team during camp.
Later, the player gathered for a full squad meeting, where head coach Joe Paterno addressed the team.
Here are some notes from the session:
- "Joe was pretty fired up," one observer explained. "He talked about how vital these practices are to the season's success. He basically paraphrased that quote he has on the will to win is important but the will to prepare is essential."
- Paterno stressed to the players about maintaining their focus on and off the practice field. "He said the team has enough to focus on without any distractions."
- He also told the team to "keep their business inside the program," showing he was upset that team information "keeps leaking to certain sites."
- Paterno also pointed to the leadership of the team and how vital captains Sean Lee and Daryll Clark will be, but "he also said that the team has tremendous leadership beyond the captains."
Some other team notes include:
- Cornerback A.J. Wallace is not only on the team roster, but is also participating in initial team meetings like Sunday's squad meeting.
- Observers indicate they have not seen J.B. Walton in early preseason team meetings. Walton sat out during spring practice this year while trying to get his grades in order.
- Sources say Ako Poti, who was charged with DUI in late July, is slated to serve a two-game suspension this season.