Also, the coaches are "happy with the heat." According to another observer, "This is exactly what they'll have to deal with down in Alabama in a few weeks, so it gonna help to get used to it now."
Here are some notes from the Tuesday sessions:
- The squad were in tops during the early practice and full pads in the afternoon session.
- The early practice worked of "basics" and "let the guys get used to getting the pads on again." The morning session saw some additional 1v1 contact drills, passing sets and running game work.
- The defense worked a variety of drills in the morning including more read-react, interception, and strip and recovery drills. Observers really liked the energy the defensive side of the ball displayed. "They're dog tired, but pushing each other, which is great to see."
- The afternoon session featured some Drill 6 (7-on-7) passing work, kick coverage and closed with a series of scrimmage sets.
- The team only had 24 scrimmage plays, which were "very basic" in nature and "really just gave them an opportunity to line up and get back into their blocks and runs."
- The offensive line generally saw a first-team scrimmage lineup of:
- Both Kevin Newsome and Matt McGloin saw the bulk of their reps with this line.
- The first-team O-line lined up against a second-team defensive line that was generally made up of:
- The second team offensive line saw some shifts, but generally was made up of:
- Paul Jones saw the majority of his snaps with this unit, while Robert Bolden also got to take in some time with this line.
- The second-team lined up against a first-team defensive line that was generally made up of:
The squad will be back on the practice field on Wednesday and will be working out for the Big Ten Network which is currently set up to tape the practice. The PSU practice special airs August 18 at 8 p.m. on BTN.
Penn State has been dealing with some injuries this week. As FOS broke earlier in the week, Curtis Drake is out with a broken leg. Also defensive back Stephon Morris has been dealing with a neck injury, which observers do not believe is serious, but may keep him sidelined for a period to recover.
The team gets in the spotlight again on Thursday when they host the preseason's Media Day event. There is not practice Thursday or Friday due to final exams.
Stay tuned to FightOnState.com for unmatched coverage.
FightOnState.com is your source for the BEST content and community covering Penn State football.