Last year, Chryst officially named Tom Savage starting quarterback halfway through training camp. There was no rhyme or reason as to why he waited until the end of training camp, Voytik officially wrapped things up at the end of training camp.
When asked of Voytik's reaction of being named starter, Chryst says there was no reaction--a reflection of Voytik's business-like approach to the game--similar to that of Chryst's.
"I think he's proud, and he should be, of the work he's done, but he wasn't real high," Chryst said. "I don't think he feels like he's arrived or anything like that, and that's what I like about it. He keeps working."
Voytik, after Thursday's practice, followed up with that nonchalant attitude about being named starter.
"If feels good," Voytik said. "I have been getting the (first-team) reps, but being named is an honor, and I am just excited to play in nine days.
CHAD VOYTIK TIMELINE
* July 28, 2011 - Voytik verbally commits to the Panthers, choosing Pitt over Mississippi State.
* December 9, 2011 - Voytik invited to the 2012 U.S. Army All-American game.
* April 12, 2013 - Voytik completes 27-33 passes for 358 yards and three touchdowns in the Blue-Gold game, stealing the show.
* December 26, 2013 - His first significant action as a college player, Voytik leads Pitt to a second-half comeback, a 30-27 win over Bowling Green. In one half of play, Voytik completed 5-9 passes for 108 yards, highlighted by an eight-play, 98-yard drive.
* August 21, 2014 - Chad Voytik officially named starting quarterback by head coach Paul Chryst.