It's hard to change a culture. It's hard to instill winning expectations. Yet in 6 seasons Cooley has established 20 wins and NCAA tournament bids as the baseline expectation. That is seismic.
- Winning - 5th straight postseason berth. 4th straight NCAA. 4th straight 20 win season. 4 straight season with at least 10 conf wins.
- Recruiting - consistently attracting top 100/150 players.
- Player development - Batts. Henton. Cotton. Bentil. Lindsey. Kyron. - All players who took big leaps in production from one year to the next.
- Adaptability - style of play dictated by strengths and skills of players
- Resilience - numerous examples of overcomming losses of key personnel to injury or unexpected circumstances (transfer, suspension)
Cooley has nailed the most important tenets of building a sustainable program.
Based on Ed's track record, the program's growth and the players returning, I feel very confident we'll be talking about the USC loss in ways Red Sox fans talk about 2003 ALCS. That the loss, while bitterly disappointing, made the subsequent victory even sweeter.