So much happens here in a week's time, it's possible (despite also being unacceptable …lol) to miss some of the happenings and news.
To make it easier, each Monday "The Week That Was" will be posted to give an update on what transpired.
All stories from ScarletReport.com can be accessed under the "Latest News" tab on the home page.
- Rutgers hosted its spring game, and it was a nice mix leading into fall camp as the offense moved the ball on the ground and through the air, and the defense created turnovers.
Quarterback Chas Dodd was 27 of 35 for 289 yards, two touchdowns and an interception and the running back tandem of Jawan Jamison and De'Antwan Williams averaged 4.2 yards per carry. Receiver Brandon Coleman caught two touchdown passes, and finished with five catches for 78 yards.
- Rutgers lost a key piece of the offensive line for the 2011 season Dallas Hendrikson tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.
- The NFL draft took place but no Rutgers players were selected. Also, because of the lockout those players cannot sign free agent contracts.
- Archbishop Wood High running back Desmon Peoples became the second member of the 2012 class when he committed during a Thursday ceremony at the school's library.
- Bloomsburg High quarterback Blake Rankin was the third member of the class to commit to Rutgers, telling coach Greg Schiano during a Saturday meeting before the spring game.
- The NIKE camp stopped at Rutgers Stadium and Rankin won the QB MVP, Peoples was the RB MVP and Rutgers target Steve Longa of Saddle Brook High won the LB MVP.
- Boyertown Area High offensive lineman Chris Muller said Rutgers, Penn State, Virginia, Boston College and Florida are his top five after returning home from a visit to Rutgers.
- Holy Spirit High linebacker Dan Mastromatteo made an 11-hour visit to campus and left just as he arrived – with Rutgers as his leader but uncommitted.
- Lancaster High offensive lineman Adam DePietro visited campus for the second time in a month, but said he doesn't have a leader nor a top 5.
- Rutgers hosted a number of high-profile recruits at the spring game, including these 2012 prospects with Rutgers offers:
DE Roderick Chungong, Good Counsel
DE Darius Hamilton, Don Bosco
LB Mike Strizak, Don Bosco
QB Blake Rankin, Bloomsburg
OT J.J. Denman, Pennsbury
LB Nyeem Wartman, Valley View
OL Ryan Brodie, Long Branch CB Kye Morgan, Franklin
TE Michael Giacone, St. Peter's
ATH Brandon Napoleon, St. Peter's
ATH Delon Stephenson, Sayreville
RB Desmon Peoples, Archbishop Wood
LB Steve Longa, Saddle Brook
OL Frank Taylor, Archbishop Wood
OL Brandon Arcidiancono