Henderson Looking at Three as Decision Nears

Lakewood (Ohio) St. Edwards three-star linebacker Troy Henderson is focused on three schools with a decision date in mind in the next three weeks. Henderson discussed all three schools, and which one is showing him the most attention heading into a decision.

If Lakewood (Ohio) St. Edwards linebacker Troy Henderson is able to schedule a Rutgers visit beforehand, the three-star prospect will make his college decision July 4.

Henderson has Rutgers, Cincinnati and Syracuse as finalists. He visited the Orange in the spring, and wants to see Rutgers to meet the staff before making the call.

"I'm going to try to visit Rutgers before then, and if I can't visit before then, I'll just push it back," Henderson said. "I want to go up there and check them out. … I want to announce on the Fourth of July because I want to celebrate that I've been blessed with a scholarship offer."

Of Henderson's three finalists, Rutgers is the most aggressive in recruiting him, he said.

"Rutgers is showing me the most as of right now," he said. "Rutgers is definitely [the most] right now."

Henderson cited the Big Ten as the strongest draw to Rutgers before his visit.

"I only have one Big Ten offer, but I could play against all of those schools that didn't offer me if I pick Rutgers," he said. "It would be really cool for me. The coaches talked about that with me. They play on the same side as Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State. Those are all the local Big Ten schools, so my parents can see me every year."

Syracuse hosted Henderson on an unofficial visit in the spring, and could host him again before a decision.

"I still hear from them a lot," he said. "Coach Clark Lea (linebackers coach) we talk with, and I talked to coach [Scott] Schafer last week. I'm planning on coming back up there soon because I didn't have a chance to see the whole place. I got to see the football part, but I didn't see the academics and the whole tour of campus."

Cincinnati has been in and out of contact since issuing a verbal scholarship offer.

"I haven't really heard from them as much," he said. "They offered me, but we haven't been building that relationship yet that people talk about. I deal with one of their coaches, coach [Robert Prunty]. He came to the school. I'm going to try to visit before my decision."

Scarlet Report Top Stories