Flood Receives Two-Year Extension

One of the biggest weeks in Rutgers football history tripled in significance Thursday morning with the announcement of a contract extension for head coach Kyle Flood. Rutgers athletic director Julie Hermann gave Flood a two-year extension to make him under contract through the 2018 school year and silenced any doubts as to his job status in Piscataway.

Actions speak louder than words, and the move by Rutgers athletic director Julie Hermann Thursday morning mean more than any verbal vote of confidence she could make.

Rutgers coach Kyle Flood received a two-year extension from Hermann and Rutgers Thursday, to keep him under contract with the Scarlet Knights for another five years. The extension was made through private funding.

"Kyle Flood is a tremendous coach for our football team and has earned the opportunity to lead us into the Big Ten and build on our program successes," Rutgers athletic director Julie Hermann said via statement. "With the generosity of private funding, we are pleased to invest in our Head Coach and our entire staff at a level more consistent with our Big Ten peers."

Flood was slated to make $950,000 in the last year of his deal, but will now make $1.55 million in the final year of the contract, which expires January 2019.

"Coach Flood exemplifies our university's standards and values both on and off the field,” Rutgers University President Robert Barchi said via statement. “He has put together a strong coaching staff that supports our mission to compete well both in the classroom and on the field.”

There is a flat buyout of $1.4 million if the contract is terminated.

The move comes during an already-historic week for Rutgers football with the first Big Ten game coming Saturday night. The extension for Flood also gives him and the coaching staff major ammunition Saturday in a dynamic recruiting weekend. Rutgers will have more than 50 prospects visiting for the game against Penn State -- most of the uncommitted prospects are the top players in a rich and talented 2016 class in New Jersey -- and this move could silence any whisper campaigns and negative recruiting about Flood's hot seat.

Flood's initial deal reached with Tim Pernetti in 2012 was for five years and increased by $100,000 each season. New terms have not yet been disclosed but come three months after Flood changed agents in the offseason.



Scarlet Report Top Stories