The Rutgers Scarlet Knights enter uncharted waters with its historic groundbreaking event Tuesday morning for a massive practice facility project. The significance does not stop there, because Rutgers partnered with one of New Jersey's biggest companies to get it done.
- Here's a look inside the deal that sent shockwaves in New Jersey under the leadership of athletic director Pat Hobbs.
- This 295,000 square foot facility will be the new practice home for Rutgers basketball.
- Rutgers partnered with RWJBarnabas Health with an $18 million investment.
- The RWJBarnabas Health Athletic Performance Center is the prize of a $100 million "R Big Ten Build" fundraising campaign. The ongoing campaign already raised $56.5 million.
- The campaign includes a $25 million tax credit from Trenton, which awaits final approval by the New Jersey Economic Development Authority.
- Basketball coach Steve Pikiell called it a "game changer for our athletic department."
- The facility also becomes home for Rutgers women's basketball, wrestling and gymnastics.
- Construction begins this spring with a targeted competition date of July 2019.
Check out Scarlet Report's live coverage from the event, including an interview with Hobbs.