Eugene Monroe photo by Ryan Sears
Eugene Monroe (OL, 6'6"-330lbs) from Plainfield High School in Plainfield, New Jersey is one of the best OLs in the country. For a player of his size, he is blessed with very good feet and quickness. He is a student of the game, who often watches tapes of NFL Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz. In addition to being a great player on the field, he is a 4.2 student. His 4.2 GPA is a result of him taking honors classes. He would be a great addition to any college program.
How many offers do you have?
Presently, Monroe has 18 scholarship offers with schools coming in everyday.
Who are your top 10 schools?
Monroe lists his top 10 schools as Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, Michigan State, Florida State, Miami, Syracuse, Penn State, Iowa, and Notre Dame.
What are your feelings on your top 5?
- In his backyard
- Likes the coaching staff
- Since he lives so close to the campus, he is always there. Therefore, he is very familiar with the school.
- He will be attending their Junior Day on February 15th.
- First school to provide him with a written offer.
- He attended the football camp and will be attending their Junior Day
- He states that they are recruiting him the hardest. They send 5 or 6 letters per day.
- He calls and talks to Coach Groh and Coach Golden. Last season, he visited the campus for the FSU game and liked it.
- Really likes the OL coach
- He calls them frequently.
- He will attempt to take an unofficial visit this summer.
- His trainer got him into Florida State.
- He had a chance to talk to the coaches and plans on visiting the school this summer.
What are the three biggest factors in your decision to attend a school?
Monroe is academically minded. Although he stated that he will graduate from any school, the graduation rate and reputation are important.
He is looking deeply at the coaching staff and the players on the team. He wants to be around guys who he is comfortable with. The improvement of the program and development of the players are two other points he mentioned. This will give him an idea of how much they can assist him to be the best.
The school should have good facilities, both academic and athletic. In the class room, he does not want to get lost in the shuffle. So the school should have a good teacher to student ratio.
What other sports do you play and what were some of your best performances?
He is on the track team and throws the shotput (best - 47'4") and discus (best - 119'). In addition to track, he plays handball and will be trying out for the junior national team.
What will you major in?
Undecided...he will make his decision during his first two years of college.
What camps will you attend?
Probably just FSU...
What unofficial visits will you take?
Where ever he can get to, he will go. He hopes to visit Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, Syracuse, Miami, Florida State, and Boston College.
Who will assist you in making your decision?
Would you commit early or will you take all 5 visits before making a decision?
He plans on taking all five visits before making a decision. He wants to totally explore his options before making a decision.
Biggest strength as a player?
He feels that he is a technician. He studies tapes of great players like Anthony Muñoz .
During my interview with Eugene, he was arguing with Jeremy Zuttah (on-line) about who was better. ; )
Donald "Big Dog" Forbes: email@example.com
Mike and the Big Dog LLC