The trenches are where games are won and lost. As a result, college coaches are always looking for linemen who can control the line of scrimmage. Coaches look for players who are athletic, tall with long arms, and explosive. At 6'7"-275lbs with a 4.9 forty yard dash, Keith Newell is the type of player the college recruiters covet. On the basketball court, Newell has shown his athleticism with a 16 point, 16 rebounds, and 4 blocked shots per game average from his center position. In the weight room, Newell has a 315lbs bench press and 405lbs squats.
Newell has the following to say about his possible suitors:
- "A wonderful school and environment. It is home."
- "They are on the rise and will be one of the dominant teams in the NCAA."
- "They are doing good things".
- "It is a different environment. I will have to learn different ways of doing things at the school."
- "In the past few years, they have had a lot of talent but have not went to the 'big dance'. My class can help to assist them in getting pass the bad breaks."
- "I am looking forward to getting their in May for another Junior Day."
- They are a new school to him.Talking to their coach got him excited about the program.
- "Another ACC school with a lot of talent that I am looking forward to see what they have to offer me."
Currently, Newell has only visited the campuses of Virginia and Rutgers but looks forward to visiting other schools. Since Rutgers and Virginia were the only two schools he has visited, he compared the two schools. He stated that "Rutgers has a state of the art facility. They are the best that I have seen. I can relate to Rutgers because they are from where I am from. For Virginia, the environment will be new. The facilities are close to Rutgers. "The talent is second to none. It reminds me of my high school team who has a lot of talent but has a lot of bad breaks."
As far as a decision, Newell will weigh how well the program does and how heavily the school is recruiting him. During his football season, he will be taking his official visits and plans on making a decision soon after the football season.