Paulsboro is among the most successful programs in the state of New Jersey.
The 1997 team set the state's record for consecutive wins with winning 55 games
in a row. Any team that has had this type of success has to have some very good
players on the roster. Paulsboro has had their share of Division 1A players.
This year Paulsboro's top player is 6'4"-220lb Alex
Silvestro, who plays DE and OLB. Last season, Silvestro registered 85 tackles,
5 sacks, and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. His performance was good enough
to earn All-South Jersey and All-conference honors. His performance has also
earned him scholarship offers from Rutgers
and Duke along with heavy interest from Penn
St, Michigan, Maryland,
Pitt, Florida, and Boston
Although Silvestro holds two scholarship offers and a lot of interest from a number of schools, he has not developed a list of favorites. He states that I'm "trying to keep my options open a little longer". However, he has developed some criteria for developing a list. Some of the things that he will look for are:
- Good academic institution - he is looking for a school with a good math and science program.
- Good campus life - it is important to have a good campus either in a rural or city location but also good things to do on and off campus.
- How the team is doing athletically - "a national power would probably be better unless the team is building a program that is going to be a national power soon".
Silvestro has the following to say about some of the teams that are interested or have offered:
- Rutgers - "I think they are a building team that is going to be a power house real soon, like this year or the next"
- Duke - " They are a program that is building but they are very good academically"
- Boston College: "They are a good academic scvhool and they have always been good athletically making it to the top 25."
- Maryland - "They are good academically and they have been good with an off year last year but still produced All-Americans"
- Penn State - "Well, I liked their campus and they are playing awesome being 3rd in the nation and they are also good academically"
Note: Silvestro is an All-State wrestler who had a 34-3 record and finished 3rd in the state of New Jersey.