During every recruiting year, we always find a number of prospects who are born to play the game of football. There are always players who have the bloodlines, the natural love, and respect for the game that only few players are blessed with. One of those players this year is Mark Spinney, a 6'4"-265lb OL. Not only did both of Spinney's grandfathers play on the division 1A level (Notre Dame and Boston College) but they also played in the NFL. Additionally, Spinney's father played football for Syracuse. His family's involvement in football has fostered an intense love and drive for success. All of this has resulted in a dominating offensive linemen.
Spinney has a 505lbs squat along with a 4.9 forty. On the line of scrimmage, Spinney regularly pancakes defenders with his ability to drive block and crushing blocks as he pulls. His performance on the field has led to a number of post season honors along with scholarship offers from Rutgers and New Hampshire. Since it is early, there are a number of schools who have been showing a lot of interest. Some of these schools are Boston College, Notre Dame, Iowa, Syracuse, Purdue, Indiana, Virginia Tech, Connecticut, and Virginia.
Although it is early in the recruiting process, Spinney has started to develop a list of favorites. Currently, Spinney has Boston College, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Rutgers and Connecticut as his favorites. He has the following to say about his favorites and the schools that have offered him:
- New Hampshire - "Great program. If I wanted to play D1AA football, that is where I would go. They have the Divison 1A nation leading QB and WR"
- Rutgers - "Great facilities and the coaches seem to be great guys. They will be a big competitor in the next few years."
- Boston College - "Since my grandfather played there,.I grew up around the program and have been to about 100 or more games. They are a Top 25 football team and going in the right direction."
- Notre Dame - "My other grandfather played there and my grandmother is a huge fan. They are a top 10 program who will be unbelieveable next year."
- Virginia Tech -"I do not know too much about the school but they have been so good. I am still getting information on them and it is still early."
- UConn - "I visited the school for junior day. They are building a great program and on the rise. They are getting some of the best prospects. My father played with Randy Edsall at Syracuse"
As far as making a decision regarding a school, Spinney will use the following factors:
- Academics - A good policital science or public affairs program. He plans on using his degree in a government or public services.
- Football - Looking for a program that can compete at the highest level, where he can play and has good coaches.
- A place where he sees himself at even if he was not playing football - looking for a place where he can feel comfortable with the atmosphere and the people.
A decision should not be expected until he takes all of his visits. He states that "I would like to look at all of my options before making a decision." In order to understand where he stands with a lot of the schools that are recruiting him, he would like to attend a number of camps and combines. One of the combines that Spinney will attend is the Scout All-American Combine at Rutgers University.