Among the best players in New Jersey is Alex Silvestro of Paulsboro. At 6'4"-240lbs, Silvestro is a hybrid OLD/DE. His long arms, quickness, and strength make him a difficult assignment for high school offensive linemen. As a junior, Silvestro registered 85 tackles, 5 sacks, and a fumble recovery for a touchdown.
Recently, Silvestro added an offer from Tennessee to those of Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa, and Cincinnati. However, he is still awaiting offers from West Virginia, Penn State, and Boston College. These schools will review his first few games before tendering an offer.
Now that the season is only a week away, Silvestro has a list of favorites that include Rutgers, Penn State, West Virginia, Iowa, and Boston College. Among these schools, he stated that his state school, Rutgers, is recruiting him the hardest.
He had the following comments on his top 5 schools:
- "Rutgers seems like they got everything on the right track now. They are winning games and seem to have better and better kids coming up through each class. They also have good academics."
- "Penn State seems like they are on top of the Big Ten again. They had a good class coming up and they also have a good education."
- West Virginia - "good program with some good standouts and they are ranked high in the standings."
- Iowa - "they have a consistently good program and they have good academics and I was told that they have good coaches."
- Boston College - "Good academics and a good program. It's a nice community up there."
Among the games that Silvestro watched this weekend was the Rutgers-North Carolina game. He stated that it was a big win for the Scarlet Knights and provided more evidence that they are an up and coming program. Since a team's wins and losses will figure into Silvestro's final decision, the game helped to keep the Scarlet Knights in his top 5 schools.
Although Silvestro has a list of his top 5 schools, this does not lock those
schools in as definite destinations for official visits. He stated that he is
not yet sure on which schools will get an official visit but he does intend
on taking unofficial visits during the football season to West Virginia, Penn
State, and Rutgers.
As far as a decision, Silvestro would like to start taking official visits after the season and make a decision before the National Letter of Intent Signing Day. SOR will be there to provide you with his final decision.