Among the most highly pursued positions for recruiters are interior defensive linemen. In the northeast, one of the more pursued defensive linemen prospects is Hafis Williams. At 6'4"-260lbs, Williams is a terror to opposing offenses. His abilities helped guide Elizabeth H.S to the New Jersey Group IV Championship. His abilities have enabled him to obtain scholarship offers from Notre Dame (written), Maryland (written), Virginia (verbal), and Penn State (verbal). Along with these schools, he has garnered strong interest from Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Boston College.
Although he is still developing a list of favorites, he had the following to say about the schools that have offered and some of those showing strong interest:
- "Good tough nose school"
- "During their junior day, they made me feel very comfortable. The coaches seems great and I connected with Coach Frigden immediately.. He is a straight talker that I like. There is no playing around."
- "They are on the rise.. in the next few years, they will be very good".
- "I was very happy to hear from Notre Dame. Just to be mentioned and noticed by them, it is amazing. They are the most prestigious school in the land".
- "I talked to Charlie Weis last Thursday and he told me that I have a scholarship offer. He is a Jersey guy so we connected right away".
- "They are so prestigious...I know that I would be getting the best education in the country...football aside."
- "I visited them during their Jr Day."
- "Everything is top notch. They are on the rise."
- "I like the way they play defense. They played the same defense as us. The 4-3 is what I am use to playing."
- " I like Coach Schiano because he places God first, family second, and the team third. That is what I also believe in."
- "I have not had a chance to visit there."
- "I felt comfortable with them during their visit to my school. They were not trying to be flashy but down to earth."
- "My coach played for PSU and has told me some good things about the school".
- "It is a really good home state school."
- "The coaching staff is great especially coach Paterno, who has been there for a long time."
Regarding a final decision, his grandmother will be a big factor. He stated that "if she would like me to play close to home, I will because I would like when she is in the stands". If his grandmother has no restrictions on where he attend school, he will choose the best school that is best for him with the two biggest factors being how he fits into the system and how comfortable he is with the school. For now, he is focusing on the first game of the season against Don Bosco on August 31st. After the season, he will focus on making a decision.