The Linebacker position in New Jersey is among the deepest in years. Among the state's best is J.B. Fitzgerald, who, as a junior registered 93 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions and forced three fumbles. Most of these numbers were registered after he made a switch from his DE position, when he found out that he is a natural LB. This is a thought that was found to be shared by a number of programs throughout the nation. Some of the schools that have offered are Stanford, Iowa, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, and Duke. Along with these schools, Iowa, Penn State, Duke, Wake Forest, Notre Dame and Pittsburgh have expressed alot of interest.
As a result of the great deal of interest, Fitzgerald has visited a number of schools and plans more visits in the upcoming months. Fitzgerald has the following to say about the schools that he has visited:
- "Great visit, I really enjoyed it."
- "it has a great tradition."
- "Coach Steve Zabo, my recruiting coach, is great and I really like him a lot. I had a chance to sit down with Carr and he is really nice."
- great facility
- "we went to the Maryland - North Carolina basketball game, where Maryland upset North Carolina."
- "I sat down with Coach Friedgen, who really cares about his kids."
- "they had a couple of the players around."
- "the campus is beautiful"
- "Sat down with coach Belin, who is a really nice guy along with Coach Diaco the linebacker coach."
- "I am still waiting to get an offer. I am not sure if they saw my films yet but I am still waiting."
- Really Cool.It is 25 minutes away from home
- The Junior Day was very well organized.and the weight room is fantastic.
- "Sat down with Coach Schiano, he is very impressive. You can see where the team gets its desire from".
- "Also sat down with Coach Susan and Jackson, who are really nice guys."
Over the next few months, he will be visiting Iowa, Penn State, Duke, Wake Forest, Stanford, and Pittsburgh.
Although he has visited a number schools, he states that he has no favorites among his many suitors.
In order to make a decision, he has three factors. Academics is the primary factor. He is looking for a school with a good academic reputation and is highly regarded by possible employers. His second factor is the football program. The program has to have a coaching staff that wants to win and expects nothing less than excellence because 'losing is no fun at all". The third factor is what is calls the feel factor, which refers to how he fits in to the program and the feel he has around the players and campus. All of the schools currently pass the feel factor.
Regarding a decision, he would like to take all of his official visits before making a decision but he is not sure if it will play out that way.
Fitzgerald also plays basketball and participates on the Track & Field team. On the basketball court, he averages 9 points per game and 13 rebounds. On the track, he runs the 100 and 200 meters along with throwing the javelin.