The May evaluation period is where junior prospects normally accumulate scholarship offers. For those elite players, scholarship offers are gathered throughout their high school career. A.J. Alexander entered the May Evaluation period with over 30 scholarship offers and have added approximately 10 during this period. His more than 40 offers places him among some of the most elite players in the country.
Alexander is among those few players who are blessed with great speed and vision. At a recent Scout Combine, he was time at 4.28 in the forty and recorded a vertical leap of greater than 38 inches. As a junior, he amassed more than 1,000 yards rushing along with 400 yards passing for 14 touchdowns. His speed and explosiveness have schools projecting him as a RB at the collegiate level.
Although he has not developed a top 5, he does have a list of his top 10 schools. He has the following to say about 8 of these schools:
- Notre Dame - "The prestige of the school is crazy plus Coach Weiss
is from the NFL. They have their own TV station. The fact that they have texted
me a lot makes me feel wanted."
- Tennessee - "I saw them play against Georgia. They were down by 20
points and came back to win the game. They have told me of how I will fit
into the offense and I like to hear that because I want to play offense."
- Miami - "They have so many NFL players. The city and the weather are so nice.They have won a lot of national championships."
- LSU - "I can not put my finger on it but I just like them. I can not tell you what it is. But they are always one of the top teams in the SEC every year."
- Clemson - "I like my recruiting coach, who texts me a lot. I really enjoyed watching their highlights on their website. There stadium is crazy."
- FSU - "I have known Coach Trickett since he was at West Virginia. Their stadium is like a castle. My family, who visited with me, liked it down there. They said that I fit the offense perfectly."
- PSU - "They are really close to home (35 mins away). They have been recruiting me since the 9th grade. My coach coaches at their summer camp every year, so I have had a chance to attend their camp a lot".
- Pittsburgh - "It is also close. They offered the first day that they were able to offer. Coach Wannstedt has been up to my school five times so I know that they are serious about recruiting me."
- Rutgers - "Coach Schiano will be flying his helicopter in to see me later in the month. I really liked the RAC, it was crazy. The weight room has a 60 yard field turf. It is just wild I have never seen anything like it before. I like Coach Susan because he is just real and down to earth. He does not lie to you. I like the fact that it does not matter how good the player is, if the team says not to take him they will not."
Among these programs, Alexander has developed the best relationships with Coach Susan (Rutgers), Coach Trickett (FSU), Coach McQueary (PSU), Coach Gattuso (Pitt), Coach Mullen (Florida), Coach Roper (Tennessee), and Coach Johnson (Georgia).
Alexander's decision will be based on his relationships and his feeling about the coaches and the players of the program that he selects. Therefore, the proximity, climate, or conference will not make a difference to him.
Since the recruiting process has his mind spinning he would like to make a decision close or at the end of the recruiting process. Therefore, a decision will be made on Signing Day or at the All-American Game.