Leon Mackey continues his impressive combine tour. After winning the MVP at the Scout Combine earlier this year, Mackey attended the Nike Combine at Rutgers and left with the defensive lineman MVP. Mackey stated "I only got a chance to go one-on-one four times but I won all of my battles. They said that one of them was against the top OL at the combine".
Due to new NCAA regulations banning the attendence of college coaches at Combine where testing is performed, Mackey did not have an opportunity to display his 4.7 speed. However, he was able to show his athleticism during the various exercises and drills performed as college coaches watched on. The fact that college coaches were in attendence made Mackey even more "pumped" to perform. As he stated, "I was excited to see the coaches watching as the combine coaches worked with me. It only helped to get me more amped".
Although Mackey continues to collect more hardware, he still only holds two offers from Temple and Pittsburgh. This seems to be changing as school such as Rutgers, West Virginia, and Maryland have visited him at school with others like Penn State and Florida State showing a lot of interest.
Mackey has the following to say about some of the schools showing heavy interest:
- Rutgers - "I like them because they are up and coming along with the facilities, especially the weight room, and the coaching staff. The staff is straight forward and welcoming."
- Maryland - "I like the campus and my recruiting coach. Last season, I took an official visit when Maryland played Wake Forest. The atmosphere was really nice along with the fan setting."
- Pittsburgh - "I have not visited the campus but I like Coach Dunn. He is a really cool dude."
- Penn State - "I like their facilities. I like the Big Ten, it is one of my favorite conferences. I also like the Penn State coaching staff."
- West Virginia - "I met the defensive line coach and really liked him a lot. I am looking forward to his next visit to my school or my visit to their campus".
- Florida State - "I was born in Florida so they have been one of my favorites schools. I am very interested in FSU."
Among these schools, Mackey stated that, if offered, "I will definitely visit Rutgers, Florida State, and Pitt (offered)". Of these schools, Pittsburgh currently maintains a clear lead. This lead is due to the fact that they have already offered. If other schools tended and offer, he stated things might change.
As far as a decision, he is looking for a coaching staff who "can develop me as a player and person. I see coaches as teachers and mentors so they are important". Academics is another critical area. As he states, "the program should be able to make me a success both on and off the field". The final criteria that he mentioned was the opportunity to start. "My goal is to play as a true freshmen. If it does not happen that is fine but I would like to get on the field as soon as possible.".
All of his possible suitors will have to wait for a final decision because Mackey intends on taking all five of his visits before making a decision. When it comes time for that decision, his brother and uncle will help him make the decision.
For now, Mackey intends on taking advantage of a number of one day camps. "I would like to visit a school for a day, showcase my talents, and obtain a few offers". If these visits are anything like his combine tour, he will have a lot of offers.