* Texas Tech defeated No. 18 St. John's 4-1 on Friday night at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park
* Tech improves to 4-1 on the season while St. John's falls to 1-3
* Game Attendance: 2,625
* This marks the first time the Red Raiders have defeated a Top 25 team since taking down No. 22 Oklahoma State 5-3 on May 22, first time taking down a team in the Top 20 since beating No. 5 Texas A&M on April 8, 4-3 in 12 innings.
* In the opening games of the Brooks Wallace Memorial Classic, Tech is now a perfect 3-0, and St. John's is the first nationally ranked team Tech has faced and beat as a part of this classic.
* Barrett Barnes went 1-for-3 in the game and got his first career inside-the-park home run driving in Jamodrick McGruder and Tim Proudfoot as well making it 4-0 at the time.
* Barnes now has 26 career home runs, his second of the season and it was his first ever inside-the-park homer
* Duke von Schamann showed his stuff off once again as for the second-straight outing the sophomore has gone at least seven innings. von Schamann's line for the game was 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
* The sophomore now sits at 2-0 on the season with a 0.00 ERA in 14 innings pitched. von Schamann has also walked just one and struck out 11, and opposing batters are hitting just .083 against the right-hander.
* Kyle Hansen got the start for St. John's and went 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER 2 BB, 7 K, the problem for the Red Storm came in reliever Brendan Lobban who went just one inning giving up three hits, including Barnes' inside-the-parker, and three runs.
* The Red Raiders are back in action on Saturday taking on Northern Illinois with first pitch set for 5 p.m.
Team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
St. John's 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 7 2
Texas Tech 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 X 4 8 0
WP: Duke von Schamann (2-0)
LP: Kyle Hansen (0-2)