San Jose State head coach Coach Mike MacIntyre seems to favor high school recruits, but both teams feature a dozen or more Football Bowl Subdivsion prospects who look to be impact players. Here are the top prospects from both teams:
- QB: Turner Baty (Fr. 6-2, 225): Interest from several BCS teams, including USC, Miami, and Michigan. From the east coast (Conn), so he probably wants to go back. Still, would give (presumed starter) Tate Forcier a run for his money.
- QB Broughan Jantz (Fr. 6'2" 205): Brother of Steele Jantz (Iowa St). Does not have the arm of his brother, but might be a better athlete. Backing up Baty, but would start anywhere else. Could see him as an emergency QB or moving to safety/WR.
- WR Daniel McKinney (So. 6'1" 220): Big, physical WR with nice wheels. Getting looks from several Pac 12 teams.
- C Olle Norberg (So. 6'2 300): From Sweden… Versatile, played guard last year – moved to center this year. Getting looks from Sac State to Auburn.
- LB Ruben Ibarra (So. 6'2 230): A run-stuffer, who is great in pass coverage. Interest from several teams, including SJSU, Ohio State and Oregon.
- DE Iosia Iosia (So. 6'6 270): Big D-lineman with a non-stop motor. Interest from UNR.
- DB Blair Wishom (So. 6'1 200): Former De LaSalle product. Big and physical, he leads the Rams in tackles with 42. Great support on the run. Getting looks from Hawaii to Oregon.
- CB Darvin McKinney (So. 6'0 190): Good sized CB, who leads the Rams in INTs (4). Returns punts, too.
- PK Edgar Castaneda (So. 5'7 165): Getting look from Sac State and Hawaii.
- DB Israel Iheanacho (So. 6'0 200): Related to Duke?
- OT Pierce Burton (So. 6'7 290): The former Spartan is a hot property: Several offers, including from Fresno and Indiana.
Also on the Ram roster:
- QB Miles Freeman (So. 6-2 195): Big, athletic option QB – could probably be an emergency QB or play WR or RB (currently, fourth on the team in rushing) at the next level.
- RB Vaughn Smith (So. 5-8, 180): Speedy all-purpose running back. Currently has 400 yards on 6.5 YPC. Getting looks from several WAC and MWC teams.
- WR Marcus McDaniels (So 5-10 185): Fast WR, who can really stretch the field. Former track star in HS. Good hands. Committed to Sac State coming out of HS.
- OL: Fehoko Fanaika (So. 6-6, 340): A mountain of a man who just manhandles D-lineman. Bit of a mean streak, too. Getting looks from UCLA and Texas A&M.
- CB Ronald Fields (So. 6-2, 190): Big, athletic corner with nice wheels. Also returns kicks and punts.
- MLB Tevita Lataimua (Fr. 6-2 225): A tackling machine – leads the bulldogs with 58 tackles (36 solos).
- ILB Justin Sagote (So. 6-2 225): Another highly-rated LB for the dogs. Getting looks from USC, Arizona and Boise.
- DE Barrett Wangara (So. 6-2, 280): Big, versatile d-lineman– plays mostly inside at CSM, but probably would move to DE at the next level.
- Eric Tuipulotu: Tiuke's little brother? Went to Serra…
Also on the Bulldog roster:
SFCC at CSM Football
Saturday, Oct. 29, 2011
1:00 p.m. Kickoff
1700 W. Hillsdale Boulevard
San Mateo, CA
David Baugher is a Contributing Editor for Inside Sparta.
Join David and the rest of the Inside Sparta community in discussions of this article, and more, on the Inside Sparta Discussion Forums!