However, today was much different as the defense held it's own. There were some tremendous hits today, and some surprises:
- Kyle Reed took the first snaps and appeared to be the most confident of the QBs. His throws were crisp and he made some very nice runs, including scrambling out of several jams. He was also checking nicely through his progressions, sometimes to the third and fourth options
- Jordan La Secla was the second QB in and he played a notch or two below Reed. Though he made some good throws he looked a little more hesitant. However, Coach Tomey said after practice that he was very happy with him so the coaches like what they see.
- In every series that Chad Bozzo was quarterback, the play was an option, leading SJSU defensive coordinator Keith Burns to comment on such from the defensive sidelines.
- Miles Eden looked crisp as well. He made some good throws and scrambled nicely.
Sophomore placekicker Tyler Cope boomed a nearly 50 yard field goal during Saturday's scrimmage
- Inside Sparta first reported on Manu Ngatikaura after the March 31 session that he was lining up as a wideout. Shortly after we noticed him dressed in the blue jersey of the defense. On Saturday he came out with the first squad as a safety.
- The receiving corps is as talented and deep as it has been in years. Kevin Jurovich was lighly used as he is still recovering from his illness of last year. But the depth in this group will pay dividends.
- Running back is another area that appears to be deep. Chris Reese looked exceptionally good in is cuts and Lamon Muldrow is a beast. Patrick Perry and Brandon Rutley were held out of the scrimmage.
In other news:
- The April 25 practice will NOT be a scrimmage. They will go through their regular drills. However, Coach Tomey will be miked so the fans can hear how he conducts practice. This will be hugely interesting for football fans in general, and Spartan fans in particular.
- There were several former Spartans in attendance today, including James Jones and Jarron Gilbert, and Tom Sotelo.
- A few of the incoming freshman were also in attendance including Pierce Burton and Ryan Jones.
- Several high school players were in attendance, along with a few of their coaches. Many are deciding on whether or not to walk-on at State.
In talking with people about the Stadium upgrades, the following looks to be the outcome:
- The walls will be painted but no ads or other banners are planned at this time. The idea being floated about is to put some SJSU-focused signage behind the visitors bench. This makes sense since that is where the television cameras point.
- The old Campus Village property is being considered for several projects, one of which would be a practice facility for Men's and Women's basketball programs. Funding is the issue.
- As stated earlier, the Field Turf has arrived and everything appears to be on schedule for the early May installation.
Inside Sparta will have much more news, interviews, photos, and analysis of Saturday's scrimmage throughout the week.
Don Hoekwater is the Publisher of Inside Sparta. You may contact Don with any questions, comments, or tips at email@example.com