Other news from today's practice:
- Ryno Gonzales, who has sat out the entire spring practice while recovering from a torn hamstring suffered early last season, was dressed today for the first time in full pads. According to defensive coordinator Keith Burns it was primarily a motivational exercise. "He's been out for a while and he just wanted to suit up," Burns said.
- A few recruits were in attendance. One in particular was RB/LB Nick Grodotzke of Chaminade High School in West Hills, Calif., in Southern California. No offer yet but is a walk-on candidate at the least. "He just loves San Jose State," his mom said. We'll have more on Nick during the week.
- Lots of former Spartans on hand. The athletic department holds an annual barb-b-que for Spartans who played in the 70s. One notable attendee was former head coach John Ralston. "I come to all the practices," he said.
- Once again the squad is working on schemes that strongly suggest the offense will look significantly different than last year. We can't report any more than that.
- Senior quarterback Kyle Reed, junior QB Jordan La Secla, and junior wide receiver Jalal Beauchman and senior tight end Terrance Williams stayed after practice for approximately 30 minutes working on routes.
- Junior running back Lamon Muldrow and sophomore RB Brandon Rutley were not at practice today. No reason was given.
- Reed took most of the snaps with the first team and looked exceptionally crisp. He had a couple balls dropped, but he's checking down well on his reads and hitting his receivers.
Inside Sparta will have a more in-depth look at the practice later.
Don Hoekwater is the Publisher of Inside Sparta. You may contact Don with any questions, comments, or tips at email@example.com
Better yet, join the rest of the Inside Sparta community in discussions of this article, and more, on the Inside Sparta Discussion Forums!