Here are the Inside Sparta Spring Practice Quick-Hitters for the April 24 session:
|Junior quarterback Jordan Le Secla is showing much more confidence as spring practice has progressed|
- Kyle Reed at Jordan La Secla took most of the quarterback reps.
- Chad Bozzo was walking with a slight limp though he was working out today.
- La Secla is growing more confident as the spring progresses. His passes today were crisp and on target.
- The receivers are still having some problems holding on to the ball.
- After missing several recent practices, Brandon Rutley was at today's workout though he spent the session running laps.
- With three seniors, a junior, and one incoming freshmam, quarterback will most certainly be a priority in recruiting for the SJSU staff this season. One visitor today was 6-foot-3, 185-pound rising senior QB Quinton McCown from Hilmar (Calif) High School near Modesto. He list SJSU among his top schools, along with Arizona (favorite), Washington (visiting soon), and Portland State.
- The team worked on a few new offensive schemes today that indicate changes will be noticable.
- Raymond Rodriquez is listed on the roster as a fullback, has worked most of the spring at linebacker, and today worked with the defensive linemen.
- An unofficial total of scholarships available to current walk-ons is five, and the recipients could be decided upon during the early summer.
- Marcos Garces could receive one of those scholarships. If not he is in line for an academic award, according to his dad.
- Former Coach Ralston was once again roaming the sidelines.
- The Field Turf painting is complete.
Saturday is the final practice of the 2009 spring session, and will be run as a situational scrimmage. Spartan head coach Dick Tomey will be wearing a microphone so fans will be treated to the same lessons the players receive, without breaking a sweat! Practice begins at 10:00 a.m. and will conclude with a barb-b-que for all in attendance. Afterwards the party moves to Municipal Stadium where the San Jose State baseball team battles arch-rival Fresno State in a doubleheader. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m.
Don Hoekwater is the Publisher of Inside Sparta. You may contact Don with any questions, comments, or tips at firstname.lastname@example.org
Better yet, join the rest of the Inside Sparta community in discussions of this article, and more, on the Inside Sparta Discussion Forums!