- The feeling during the entire three-hour practice was one of extreme intensity
- There was a special guest on hand - Former Stanford, Notre Dame, and Washington head coach Tyrone Willingham. We were told he was just a "visitor" but he was seen taking notes during practice
- SJSU head coach Dick Tomey said that barring injuries he doesn't expect any of the incoming freshman to play this season
- Running back Patrick Perry still has not been cleared for playing time this season but will continue to practice with the team
- Incoming freshman Pierce Burton has been moved from defense to offensive tackle due to the injury of Jon Moreno
- Freshman Ronnie Yell and sophmore Tanner Burns were returning punts
- Freshman Harrison Waid was booming kicks from 40-plus yards - and making them through the uprights
- The team, to a man, is excited about playing USC and is using that game to push themselves
- Coach Tomey said there may be one academic casualty in the two-deep roster, but didn't name a player
- Sophomore linebacker Wade O'Neill had a severe limp, which appeared to be an injury sustained during the practice
- Quarterbacks on the field today were Kyle Reed, Jordan La Secla, Chad Bozzo, Myles Eden, Jason Kafka, Cory Murphy, and Dasmen Stewart
- Coach Tomey said several walk-ons would be receiving scholarships this season
- Ryno Gonzalez was practicing with the defense. He sat out almost the entire spring session due to injury
Inside Sparta will have more from today's session including pictures and interviews along with an evaluation of the first day.
Don Hoekwater is the Publisher of Inside Sparta. You may contact Don with any questions, comments, or tips at email@example.com
Better yet, join the rest of the Inside Sparta community in discussions of this article, and more, on the Inside Sparta Discussion Forums!