So much happens here in a week's time, it's possible to miss some of the happenings and news.
To make it easier, each week "The week that was" will be posted to give an update on what transpired.
This week, the feature is free, but it may be a premium item in the future.
Click the links below for further reading on the subjects and make sure you're clicking the "Latest News" tab at the top of the page for a full list of Gamecock Anthem's latest content.
On the Gridiron
- The South Carolina football team returned to school Monday for the beginning of the Summer I session as voluntary summer workouts began.
- Twelve freshmen enrolled for the session including major recruits like Mike Davis, Jordan Diggs, Chaz Elder, Darius English and Kwinton Smith.
- News from the SEC Meetings in Destin, Fla. seemed to confirm what was suspected already: Texas A&M will replace Arkansas as South Carolina's new permanent opponent from the West.
Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel confirmed that Arkansas is the Tigers' cross-divisional rival now.
- According to reports, Spurrier continues to pitch his idea that the SEC should determine division winners by division games only.
The issue is expected to be discussed more in-depth later this week as the SEC Meetings continue. Spurrier has received support for the idea from coaches like Les Miles, Derek Dooley and James Franklin, but the idea has been rejected by coaches like Nick Saban and Mark Richt.
- South Carolina landed a commitment from Briar Woods (Ashburn, Va.) four-star LB Matt Rolin last Friday while the nation's No. 13 OLB was on an unofficial visit to Columbia with his family. Rolin comes from a Gamecock family and his grandfather played defensive back at Carolina. He was recruited by Shawn Elliott.
- Gamecock DE commitment Devin Washington made an unofficial visit to campus over the weekend as well and stayed until Monday. He spent time with Rolin and getting to know his future teammates. Washington is solid in his commitment and is already recruiting other prospects.
- Late Tuesday night South Carolina landed its 14th commitment of the 2013 class when Stephenson HS (Stone Mountain, Ga.) CB Ali Groves gave his pledge to defensive coordinator Lorenz Ward.
- South Carolina four-star OG target Tyrone Crowder has announced that he will release his top five at some point soon -- likely this week.
On the Diamond
- Friday night, South Carolina was eliminated from the SEC Tournament with a 7-2 loss to Florida. The Gamecocks beat Auburn 5-3 to avoid elimination the day before after losing to Vanderbilt 2-0 in its opener.
- Despite the 1-2 record in Hoover, South Carolina was awarded the No. 8 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament and as the No. 1 seed in the Columbia Regional will host No. 2 Clemson, No. 3 Coastal Carolina and No. 4 Manhattan. Game 1 for the Gamecocks is Friday at 4 against Manhattan on ESPNU.