* Coach Holtz reiterated the fact that the staff is anxious to get started next week. "I can't tell you what kind of team we will have," said Holtz. "But, I do believe this will be an exciting team to watch."
* Coach Holtz said he was confident in turning over the offensive reins to assistant head coach Skip Holtz. "I told Skip to run it however he wants," said Coach Holtz. "He and I differ somewhat when it comes to offensive philosophy, but he can run it wide open if he wants to."
* Coach Holtz said that it was still undetermined if wide receiver Matthew Thomas would be fully reinstated to the team. Thomas has been under suspension since his arrest in the spring on charges of simple assault. Thomas had been accepted into the Pretrial Intervention program and according to Holtz, had completed all of the necessary requirements set forth by that program. "I'm told he's done everything he is supposed to have done. We'll just have to wait and see."
* When asked about what he had heard regarding the NCAA's looking into the South Carolina program, Holtz said: "I feel comfortable with how we run and operate our program. I understand they have been looking into some things, exactly what, I don't know. They (the NCAA) have a responsibility and I am sure they are doing what they need to do in carrying out this responsibility."
* Holtz said he would like to see the NCAA administer the assigning of officials to college games. "I'd like to see the NCAA take over the officiating aspect of the game," said Holtz. "Instead of having crews from different conferences, I'd like to see the NCAA act as a clearinghouse for all officials."
* The Gamecock team reports Monday. The first practice is Tuesday. The season opener is Aug. 30 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (7 p.m.).
Football Notes Heading Into Week One 2003
Gamecock Anthem Top Stories
New Head Coaches Mid-Season ReportThere were a lot of college football head coaching changes before this season. Let's take a look at how a few have fared so far this season.
ScoutWednesday at 4:59 PM
Scout's Top 25 Recruiting ClassesScout has a new top school in the recruiting rankings. Take a look at capsules for the top 25 classes in the country, including a new number one.
Scout FootballMonday at 10:20 AM
Updated Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017The updated Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the Scout 300.
UGA-USC Game Moved to SundayATHENS - Saturday’s game at South Carolina will be played Sunday afternoon.