* The scrimmage featured a balanced attack by the offense and some hard-hitting by the defense. Linebacker Lance Laury was all over the field, as he caused a fumble and returned an interception 38 yards for a touchdown. Unofficially, quarterback Dondrial Pinkins completed five of nine passes for 104 yards, while backup quarterback Syvelle Newton was 5-10 for 101 yards and one touchdown - a 32-yarder in the end zone to wide receiver Troy Williamson. Quarterback Blake Mitchell was 7-11 for 48 yards and one interception. Mike Rathe completed two of four passes for 11 yards.
* Williamson was the leading receiver with two catches for 70 yards. Matthew Thomas had one reception for 36 yards, while Daccus Turman had one catch for 41 yards.
* The leading rusher was senior Gonzie Gray (6-61). Demetris Summers had four carries for 31 yards and on touchdown (5 yards). Newton also ran it in from three yards out.
* Defensive big plays were also turned in by safety Andre Hemphill (fumble recovery) and ends Moe Thompson and George Gause, who each had QB sacks. Pass deflections were recorded by Jonathan Joseph, Darrel Shropshire, and Taqiy Muhammad.
* There were two injuries to report: DL Freddy Saint-Preux sprained his right knee and center Fran Person suffered a mild concussion.
* Following the scrimmage, head coach Lou Holtz met with the media. Here are some of his comments: "It was a very physical scrimmage with a lot of good hitting by the defense. I am impressed with the play of our defensive front. Our linebackers are playing well. Lance Laury was making plays all over the field today. Towards the end of the scrimmage, we did some good things offensively. Demetris Summers really made a couple of big-time SEC runs towards the end of the scrimmage. Gonzie Gray has had an excellent spring. He is playing much more physical than in the past ... Both Dondrial (Pinkins) and Syvelle (Newton) did some good things at quarterback. I'd say if we had to put together a depth chart today, Syvelle would be the #2 quarterback ... We made some good progress offensively. We're starting to run the ball like an SEC team should. The physical play and the toughness are starting to come through. I think the offense is in the middle of adjusting to everything, probably adjusting more to me than anything. I can be pretty stubborn, you know ... Syvelle has such good instincts. He has not forced the ball and has not turned the ball over ... I think are defense is starting to come around. The players are a year older and more mature and the coaches have been very positive with them. Their effort and toughness have been outstanding."
* South Carolina will return to the practice field Tuesday afternoon.
It Was A "Good Friday" Scrimmage
Gamecock Anthem Top Stories
Updated Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017The updated Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the Scout 300.
Scout FootballYesterday at 5:40 AM
SEC Recruiting NotebookNews, notes and recruiting scoop out of the SEC...
Scout FootballMonday at 6:00 AM
New Head Coaches Mid-Season ReportThere were a lot of college football head coaching changes before this season. Let's take a look at how a few have fared so far this season.
Scout's Top 25 Recruiting ClassesScout has a new top school in the recruiting rankings. Take a look at capsules for the top 25 classes in the country, including a new number one.