* There were no new injuries to report. Recruit Brandon Samuels, who reported earlier this week, did not pass his physical examination due to a low back condition, and will not enroll at USC. Returnees Terrell Davis (nickel back) and James Scott (defensive end) reported but are not able to practice due to injuries. Davis has a torn chest muscle and Scott has a thigh injury. Both are out indefinitely. There was nothing new to report on the status of recruit Antonio Lamar, whose admission is still pending from the NCAA Clearinghouse.
* Notes and quotes from Thursday: Quarterback Dondrial Pinkins says all of the quarterbacks have had their bright moments during preseason camp. "I think all of us bring some things to the table," said Pinkins. "We're still competing out there every day. I know Coach Holtz is going to go with the player who gives us the best chance to win." ... Defensive coordinator Rick Minter: "I think defensively we have posed some problems for our offense and I also think offensively, they have posed some problems for our defense. I think that is only going to help both sides of the ball get better prepared." ... Coach Minter says he is high on freshman safety Ko Simpson: "Our secondary has a lot of promise and Ko Simpson is right at the top of that list. I think he's going to be a very good player."
* Walk-on placekicker Charlie Carpenter, who had been suspended from the team for one week by Coach Holtz for "team reasons" was back on the squad Thursday. Carpenter declined comment through a USC spokesperson.
* A group of walk-ons tried out for the squad after practice. Included in that group wa 39-year-old former Army Ranger Tim Frisby, who was with the team during the spring. Frisby plays wide receiver. His nickname on the squad is "Pops."
* Running back Demetris Summers said he wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in the starting lineup for the season opener vs. Vanderbilt. "We have a good group of backs and everyone is playing pretty well," said Summers after Thursday's practice. "I've been running some with the second team. Gonzie Gray has been running a lot with the first team. I'm working hard and have done a lot better since last Sunday's scrimmage."
South Carolina Preseason Football Practice Report
Gamecock Anthem Top Stories
Updated Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017The updated Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the Scout 300.
SEC football grad rates, first to worstSee the newly released Graduation Success Rates for every SEC football program.
Week 12 CFB Rushing LeadersCheck out who put up big rushing numbers week 12 in college football.
Week 11 College Football PredictionsWeek 11 college football predictions for the 10 biggest games. The Pac-12 takes center stage for the first time all year, as red-hot USC travels to Seattle to take on unbeaten…