SC Upsets The Cats 73-61!

Dave Odom's South Carolina Gamecocks pulled off a major upset tonight in The Colonial Center by ending Kentucky's streak against SEC teams and in doing so inserting themselves back into the hunt for a NCAA berth ...

Both teams began with shot clock violations, but thereafter the Gamecocks cranked-up with a 4-0 run before Kentucky managed one of two from the line to break their opening drought. Morris slammed home a two to bring the Cats within one early, 4-3, at the 15:41 first timeout.

After the timeout John Chapel hit his second shot of the game to put the Cocks up 6-3 and Kentucky quickly responded by first closing within one and then going up for their first lead of the game, 7-6 with just under 14 minutes remaining in the half.

Antoine Tisby would give the Gamecocks back the lead 10-9 with just under twelve minutes in the half with a nice dipsy fake-and-under put-back, his third and fourth points of the early contest.

Terrance Kinsey nailed a three with a Cat in his face only to see KY draw three-blood for the first time on their next trip down the court. One out of two at the line for Josh Gonner put the Cocks up 16-12 matching the biggest lead of the game with 9:26 remaining in the half.

Carlos Powell's dish to Kinsey put Carolina up by six with eight minutes remaining and Kentucky answered to close to 18-14 with 7:31 remaining at the timeout.

Renaldo Balkman came out of the timeout and blocked a Rondo Kentucky fast break attempt that left the crowd howling but Balkman had to go to the bench after reinjuring his left hand.

South Carolina still led at the 6:00 mark, 18-14.

A three and a pair of frees put the Cats back up 19-18 with 4:40 on the clock and the home town crowd quieted just a bit.

Kentucky maintained that lead and score through to the timeout at the 3:31 mark.

Antoine Tisby gave SC the lead back and ended a four minute drought by the Cocks that saw them go 0-7 with a nice put-back, but Tisby followed with a fowl that sent the Cats to the line and Sparks tied it at 20.

Brandon Wallace put the Gamecocks up with a fast break slam but Kentucky's Azbuike responded with a three and the Cats were back up by one 23-22.

With exactly 1:00 remaining Dave Odom called a 30 second timeout hoping to take his Gamecocks to the locker room with a lead.

With 16 seconds remaining in the half Terrance Kinsey drained a three and Kentucky was unable to answer thus giving Carolina the lead 25-23 heading into the break.

South Carolina had also led at the half in Lexington earlier in the season. The Gamecocks shot only 37% compared to KY's 40% in the first half.

Kentucky opened the second half with a tying lob and Terrance Kinsey continued his hot streak with a three in response that put the Cocks up by three 28-25.

SC would go up by five before KY hit one or two from the line to close within four 30-26.

With 17:33 remaining in the ballgame Kentucky had 14 turnovers as the Cocks' mixing defenses appeared to be baffling to the Cats.

Three blocked shots in a row culminated with the Gamecocks inbounding the ball leading 31-26 with 16:35 remaining in the half. Kentucky would steal but Tre Kelly would block the shot and the ball once again found its way back into the hands of Carolina.

Terrance Kinsey brought the crowd to their feet with a three from the corner that put the Cocks up 34-26 with 15:41 to go.

Antoine Tisby came out of the break at 15:18 and put the Cocks up by ten, but KY's Moss responded with a three, the first Cat field goal in five minutes.

Terrance Kinsey would reply with a three of his own, his fifth of the game and the Gamecocks were back-up by ten.

Antoine Tisby put SC up by twelve on a put-back slam and the crowd went wild until Renaldo Balkman fouled Moss from beyond the arch. Moss hit all three chances and the Cats trailed by nine with 13:09 showing on the clock.

Rocky Trice hit two frees to put the Gamecocks back up by double-digits 43-32 with 12:38 remaining. KY's Crawford hit one of two from the line to cut the lead to ten.

Morris would cut the lead to eight for Kentucky with 10:50 remaining in the half and SC would respond by turning up the offensive pressure and having Tre Kelly penetrate.

With 10:06 Morris again went low beating Tisby for two and a foul. Kentucky trailed by six 44-38.

Brandon Wallace put the Cocks back up by eight with 8:45 remaining in the game and then promptly blocked a shot that led to a Rocky Trice layup that gave the Gamecocks a ten point lead with 8:10 remaining.

Kentucky cut the lead to eight on two frees follwed by an Azubuike steal that led to a Moss to Azubuike slam and a Brandon Wallace foul that Azubuike would convert.

Antoine Tisby scored on the return trip and with just under seven minutes remaining SC led by five 50-45.

Carlos Powell missed both free throw attempts but Powell would make up for it with a steal off of Sparks. Powell would hit one of two that go-round.

Rocky Trice's feed to Tre Kelly for a layup put the Cocks back up by eight and the crowd was beginning to smell a victory. With 5:00 on the clock SC stole the ball away from the Cats and things appeared to be going the way of the Gamecocks.

Carlos Powell scored on a power move and was fouled. He hit his free to put the Gamecocks up by eleven and the # 3 Wildcats were in trouble.

Renaldo Balkman made a move to the basket and dished to Carlos Powell for the lay-in and the biggest lead of the night, 58-45 with 3:47 on the clock.

Kentucky's Moss drained two from the charity stripe to draw the Cats within eleven as the news filtered through the crowd that Terrance Kinsey was out of the game with a strained/bruised back.

Carlos Powell hit one of two from the line to put the Cocks back up by twelve and the Cats followed by turning the ball over for the 21st time on the night.

With 2:44 remaining the Gamecocks called a timeout to prepare for the final run.

Carlos Powell put the Gamecocks up by fourteen 61-47 with 2:18 remaining in the game and Kentucky's streak of nineteen consecutive SEC wins appeared to be in jeopardy.

Kentucky would press and pull to within ten with a minute-forty remaining in the game before Brandon Wallace dropped in two to put the Cocks back up by a dozen.

KY's Rondo hit two frees to bring the Cats to within ten and Kentucky would foul Tre Kelly in transition to send the point guard to the line. Kelly hit one of two from the line and the Gamecocks were up by eleven, 64-53 with 1:11 remaining.

Carlos Powell was fouled immediately and he hit both frees to put the Gamecocks up by 13 66-53 with 63 seconds remaining in the contest.

Antoine Tisby sealed the deal with a pair of free throws and Kentucky responded with a deuce to pull within eleven.

Rocky Trice nailed two from the line to put the Gamecocks back up by thirteen, 69-56.

KY's Bradley hit a three from Senate Street and Josh Gonner followed by hitting two from the line after an intentional foul that gave the Gamecocks the ball back.

The game would end with a slam by the Gamecocks and SC was back in the hunt for a NCAA berth with a 73-61 upset win.

Gamecock Anthem Top Stories