Gamecocks Gear Up For Saturday Scrimmage
In a growing trend this spring, the offense continued its struggles during Friday's workout, and for the second night in a row, even the quarterback-center exchange proved problematic. Coach Steve Spurrier spent nearly twenty minutes after practice working with the quarterbacks and centers to perfect the all important exchange. After working on the under center snap following Thursday's practice, the quarterbacks and centers focused on the shotgun snap exchange after Friday's workout.
"We still have a lot of undisciplined offensive players," Spurrier said following Friday's practice. "We're a long way off from being any good on offense. We'll see if we can do any better tomorrow."
Last Saturday, the scrimmage primarily featured younger players, but Spurrier is so upset with how the offense has done in practice this week that he plans to use all of his players on Saturday, including all three quarterbacks on the roster.
"It will probably be our most intense one of the spring," said Spurrier. "The defense, I think, believes they are going to beat the offense pretty bad tomorrow. We'll find out what happens, should be interesting."
Spurrier emphasized the word "interesting," then talked about a surprise he has in store for the fans who attend the scrimmage. "We are going to do something tomorrow you've never seen in a scrimmage. I'm not going to tell you [what it is], you've got to come out and watch. I guarantee the South Carolina fans have never seen this. Well, they may have seen it. I can't guarantee it, but I don't think they've ever seen it."
When asked if the surprise will be something the team uses in the regular season, Spurrier grinned, and said, "Possibly, you never know."
- After suffering a serious foot injury early last fall, offensive tackle Gurminder Thind is nearing full speed and has impressed thus far in spring practice. Thind has practiced at first team left tackle the past couple of days, ahead of returning starter Jamon Meredith.
- Redshirt offensive lineman Kevin Young has not practiced the past two days due to a left shoulder injury. He is listed as day-to-day.
- Junior kicker Ryan Succop is out with a sprained ankle.
- The coaches will keep score between the offense and defense during Saturday morning's scrimmage, with the loser having to run sprints.
- Saturday's scrimmage will be held at 10:30 a.m. at Williams Brice Stadium, and fans are encouraged to attend.
Gamecock Anthem Top Stories
10 Schools Down But Recruiting WellA look at 10 programs recruiting well despite be down as a program.
These rival helmet color swaps are revoltingSwapping rival teams' helmet colors? It shouldn't have been done, but someone did it anyway.
Photos: Newest college football uniformsKeeping up with the constant evolution of college football uniforms in time for the 2016 season.
Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017The inaugural Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the Scout 300.