* Skip said Wednesday was a spirited practice for the Gamecocks. Head coach Lou Holtz held a team meeting prior to the workout and while he did not disclose the particulars of the meeting, Skip said that the emphasis on standards, expectations and senior leadership came through loud and clear. "We're not real excited about how we've played the past couple of weeks, and I think Coach wanted to set the tone and tempo from where we go from here," said Skip. "We had a very upbeat practice; probably one of our better practices over the past couple of weeks."
* Skip mentioned the play of running back Ricardo Hurley, both true freshmen, as being impressive during Wednesday's workout. "Daccus really ran the ball well and Ricardo had some big-time collisions with some of the backs," said Skip.
* Slotback Troy Williamson has been slowed with a groin pull this week and has not been able to practice much. He could be questionable for the Gators.
* Skip said the quarterback Dondrial Pinkins has been taking most of the snaps with the #1 offense, but that Corey Jenkins, who is also working at safety this week, has been taking some snaps under center, as well. "Coach made the move because he felt like this was in the best interests of the team, and I've got to go along with that," said Skip. "Things weren't going well for us and he's not the type who is going to let the grass grow under him. Many of the changes he's made in the past have proven to be quite successful." Jenkins has been working at both safety positions, while Deandre' Eiland has been working at both free safety and cornerback.
* USC and Florida will kick off this Saturday at 6:01 p.m. at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville. ESPN will televise to a national audience.