The USF men's basketball team held on to beat Virginia Commonwealth 60-59, in another overtime thriller Wednesday night at the Sun Dome.
Playing In their second overtime game in the past week, the Bulls won by playing a stingy defense and strong rebounding, and held the high-scoring VCU offense to just 59 points.
The Bulls were led by forward Ron Anderson Jr.', who pulled down 13 rebounds and picked up a double-double, finishing the game with 10 points, two assists, a game-high four blocks and a steal.
Guard Hugh Robertson led USF in scoring with 14-points, a career-high, he also had six rebounds, adding one assist and a steal. Gus Gilchrist scored 12 points, and pulled down, five boards with an assist, two blocks and three steals.
Jawanza Poland continues to impress with his play, scoring 11 points, six assists and two steals, while leading the team with 39 minutes on the floor.
USF started the game with a 5-0 run, and kept it up until the lead was 17 points after an 11-0 run midway through the half. VCU went on a 10-0 run as the half ran down to cut the lead down to eight, before Augustus Gilchrist hit the final shot of the half to give the Bulls a 30-20 lead at halftime.
In the second half VCU went on an 8-0 run to pull them within one point, their only lead of the night with just 41.6 seconds left in regulation. 10 seconds later, Bulls sophomore guard Jawanza Poland drove the lane for the score, and drew a foul. Poland hit his free throw and put USF up 52-50. VCU tied it up with 13.8 seconds left in regulation, to force overtime.
The Bulls were up by six in overtime, as VCU went on a 5-0 run to get within a point, but the Bulls held on as time expired..
USF is now 5-3, and next face FAU Saturday night in Boca Raton..
USF Stat leaders
Augustus Gilchrist 12 pts, 13 reb, 4 blk,, 2 ast 3 stl
Hugh Robertson 14 pts, 6 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 1 TO
Ron Anderson 10 pts, 6 reb, 2 ast, 1 TO
Jawanza Poland 11 pts, 3 reb, 6 ast,2 stl, 3 TO
Anthony Crater 5 ast, 3 reb, 1 stl 0 pts, 4 TO
Shawn Noriega 5 pts
Toarlyn Fitzpatrick 2 pts, 4 reb, 1 ast, 1 TO
Jarrid Famous 4 pts, 4 reb, 1 blk, 1 TO
Shedrick Haynes 1 Reb, 1 TO
- The game vs. VCU marks the second time in three games that USF goes into overtime. - USF is now 21-34 all-time in overtime games; 3-3 under head coach Stan Heath.
- USF was 5-of-6 (83.3%) shooting in OT. - The USF defense held VCU's high-powered offense to 59 points after averaging 83.8 PPG coming into the game. VCU also came into the game averaging 10.8 threes per game, but only hit eight against the Bulls.
- USF continues to dominate the glass, outrebounding the Rams 45-35.
- USF scored 32 of their 60 points in the paint and 12 points came from long range.
- Junior guard Anthony Crater returned to the lineup after missing three games with a left ankle sprain.
- USF's starters were Ron Anderson Jr., Augustus Gilchrist, Hugh Robertson, Jawanza Poland and Anthony Crater.
- Ron Anderson Jr. earned his first double-double of the season with 10 points and 13 rebounds. He now has more than 10 rebounds in three of his last four games, all three of which are starts.
- Hugh Robertson earned a career high in points with 14. He started the game with a duo of three pointers.
- Four Bulls scored in double-digits against VCU - Hugh Robertson (14), Augustus Gilchrist (12), Jawanza Poland (11), Ron Anderson Jr. (10).
- Jawanza Poland tallied six assists and Anthony Crater had five handouts.