The USF men's basketball team played DePaul Thursday night, winning 71-60 in the Sun Dome. The win gave Stan Heath and the Bulls their second BIG EAST victory of the season.
Guard Hugh Robertson led USF, scoring 16 points hitting 6-of-9 from the floor, and 2-of-4 three pointers. Robertson also had 3 rebounds and assist. Sophomore Jawanza Poland had 11 points , including a pair of thunderous dunks. Poland also had 3 rebounds, 4 steals, and 2 assists.
Toarlyn Fitzpatrick came off the bench for 11 points in the game, Augustus Gilchrist grabbed 10 rebounds and scored 9 points, while Anthony Crater had a team-high seven assists.
The Bulls had a total of seven team dunks off of 14 fast breaks, and USF also outscored DePaul off the bench 26-9.
Jawanza Poland and Augustus Gilchrist helped USF to lead DePaul 35-25 at the half. The Blue Demons led the Bulls in field goal percentage in the first half, shooting 40.0 and the Bulls shooting 38.5. However DePaul was only able to hit one of 7 3-pint attempts, giving them a 14.3 three point field goal percentage (1-7), compared to the Bulls 60.0 percent (3-5).
The Bulls started the second half with a dunk by Robertson and a 12-point lead. The Bulls led the whole second half with their largest lead reaching 15 coming late in the game.
USF shot 49 percent overall (24-49) and 50 percent (6-12) from behind the arc compared to DePaul's 48.1 field goal percentage (25-52) and 23.1 percent (3-13) from behind the arc. In the first half the Bulls were perfect on free throws and Poland extended his streak to 20 consecutive free-throws, before missing a pair in the second half. Overall the Bulls finished 81 percent at the foul line making 17-of DePaul's leading scorer was Melvin Cleveland who had 17 points and was perfect 3 of 3 from behind the arc.
The Bulls next game is on the road at Providence on Feb. 2nd.
- USF's bench outscored the DePaul bench 26-9 in the game, including a 16-0 difference in the first half.
- Jawanza Poland missed his third and fourth free throws of the night, snapping a streak of 20 consecutive makes dating back to the Seton Hall game on Dec. 28.
- USF led 35-25 at halftime, which was its largest halftime lead in a BIG EAST game since playing DePaul late last season.
- Augustus Gilchrist has grabbed double-digit rebounds in two straight games and four of the last seven. The junior pulled down 10 vs. Depaul.
- Shaun Noriega has hit a three in seven of the last 10 games, including two vs. DePaul. He has hit multiple threes in five games this season.
- Hugh Robertson netted 16 points, his ninth double-digit scoring effort in 12 games.
- Toarlyn Fitzpatrick netted 11 points in the game, the most since he scored 13 vs. Georgia Southern on Nov. 21.
- Anthony Crater had a team-high seven assists. He has had five or more assists in seven games this season.
- The Bulls were 12-12 at the FT line at the half and 17-21 for the game.