The 17th ranked Bulls won a 31-24 overtime thriller against UCF on Saturday night in the final meeting between the two schools. QB Matt Grothe was very successful throwing the deep ball against the UCF secondary. For the game, Grothe completed 23-40 for 346 yards and three touchdowns while also being picked twice. He saved his best throw of the game for the very end though. On the first possession in overtime, Grothe threw a 25-yard strike to Taurus Johnson down the middle of the field to put the Bulls on top for good.
- Tight End Cedric Hill and Center Jake Griffin were the official offensive team captains for USF.
- RB Moise Plancher is starting his second career game against UCF. His first start came two years ago on September 2, 2006 against McNeese State.
- The 15-yard rushing score by Moise Plancher with 10:43 left in the first half was his third career touchdown.
- The 43-yard completion thrown by Matt Grothe to Carlton Mitchell was the longest play of the season.
- Matt Grothe has now thrown a touchdown in 23 of 28 career games.
- The 346 yards thrown by Matt Grothe against UCF is the fourth highest in USF history. Grothe already owns the number one spot when he threw for 382 yards against Cincinnati last season.
- Matt Grothe has surpassed the 7,000-yard mark for total offense in his career. After the UCF game, Grothe now has gained 7,255 yards (5,688 passing and 1,567 rushing) in only 28 games.
- This was the fourth time in Grothe's career that he has thrown for over 300 yards in a game.
- RB Moise Plancher has rushed for 115 yards on 17 attempts in two games. In his previous two seasons, he had only gained 43 yards on 14 carries.
- WR Jesse Hester's reception in the second quarter increases his consecutive games with a catch to 11 games.
- Taurus Johnson now has 1,089 career receiving yards after gaining 143 yards against UCF.
- Cedric Hill's two touchdown receptions matched a career high. He also scored twice against FAMU on September 10, 2005.
- CB Tyller Roberts and S Danny Verpaele were the defensive team captains for USF. This is the first time Verpaele has been named a captain.
- Michael Greco's 13-yard passing touchdown in the fourth quarter was the first touchdown allowed by the USF defense this season.
- Jerome Murphy led the Bulls defense with nine tackles while Tyrone McKenzie finished second with seven tackles including two tackles for a loss.
- Joe Burnett's 91-yard kick return in the first quarter was the first return TD the Bulls have allowed since November 26, 2005 against UConn.
- After his three kick returns against UCF, Taurus Johnson is now third all-time in USF history with 30 total returns.
- Delbert Alverado's 20-yard field goal in the first quarter was the first of the season for the Bulls and the 23rd of Alverado's career.
- This is the final time the two schools will play each other.
- The Bulls are now 7-0 all-time in overtime games.
- The game lasted three hours and thirty-nine minutes.
- USF is now 4-0 all-time against UCF and 8-1 when facing a team from the state of Florida. They were beaten 27-7 by Miami on October 1, 2005.
- 46,805 people attended Saturday's game, which is the second biggest crowd to ever watch a game between USF and UCF and the most to ever attend a game at Bright House Networks Stadium. The only game to draw a bigger crowd was last year's contest at Raymond James that drew 65,948 fans.
- Matt Grothe surpassed Donovan McNabb to move into third all-time in the Big East for career rushing yards by a QB with 1,567 in 28 games. McNabb had rushed for 1,561 yards from 1995-1998.
- Nine of the 11 touchdowns scored by the Bulls this season were on drives that lasted under three minutes.
- The Bulls' first quarter drive of 12 plays, 82 yards that lasted 5:55 was the longest drive of the season for both yards and time.
- UCF was penalized 12 times for 149 yards while USF lost 58 yards on seven penalties.
USFNation.com - Get it First, Get it Fast!