VIDEO: Defensive Coordinator Tom Mason
Q&A with OLB Stephon Sanders
Omar: How has spring practice been so far, Stephon?
Stephon: Its going good. I still think I can keep getting better, but that's how I always feel.
Omar: What do you think about the possibility of Robert Seals being the linebacker opposite you in this defense?
Stephon: Oh yeah, were going to cause some havoc. He's got a lot of potential and we are in the same graduating class, so he came in with me. I already know what he is capable of, and he is a player too. I think we're going to be all right.
Omar: What do the linebackers as a group need to do to replace guys like Taylor Reed and Ja'Gared Davis?
Stephon: Well, I mean, we don't replace, we just reload. The defense stays the same and the guys we got can step up to the plate. I'm sure of that, its not going to be any different. I don't expect any slack off this year.
Omar: What kind of influence does Coach Mason have on the team?
Stephon: He's a great influence because he cares about his players on and off the field. And I mean that's what some of us need too. It's just more of a motivation to do better on the field.
Omar: What do you think is the biggest strength you bring to this defense?
Stephon: Experience because now I'm part of the upper class crew, so I got to help the rest of them. I got to use my experience to my advantage to gain an edge.
Omar: Finally, what is your goal for this season?
Stephon: Conference champs! That's it.
• The offense and defense both practiced in the stadium with pads on.
• There were a lot of recruits at practice, including Tyrique Edwards, Hunter Swain and Marcus Hubbard from Sachse and Chris Adkins from Coppell
• Myles Crosby was also in attendance.
• Team did 1-on-1's, 3-on-3's, and played 7-on-7. Also, the whole team worked on stripping the ball.
• Garret Gilbert looked really sharp all morning especially on deep routes, with the exception of one interception to J.R. Richardson.
• Keenan Holman followed up a bad drop with a terrific diving catch
• Jeremy Johnson has a knack for getting open and appears to be who Gilbert trusts the most
• Ajee Montes was terrific all of practice and seems like a real playmaker
• Kevin Pope and Randall Joyner combined for a big hit that caused Prescott Line to fumble
• They were a lot of fumbles in general today because of the cold and rainy weather. The defense was also very aggressively looking to cause turnovers
• Horace Richardson left practice with an apparent left knee injury and Ronnell Sims also got injured towards the end.
Pony Stampede Spring Practice Report: Day 7
Pony Stampede Top Stories
Three Up Three Down: SMU vs. TCUPatrick picks three ups and three downs from SMU's 33-3 loss vs. TCU on Friday night at Ford Stadium.
Pony StampedeFriday at 9:00 PM
Rapid Reaction: SMU vs. TCUSMU lost to TCU 33-3 on Friday night at Ford Stadium to drop to 2-2 on the season.
Pony StampedeFriday at 2:29 PM
FREE Pony Stampede Hilltop Review: Sept. 23Come inside this free edition of the Pony Stampede Hilltop Review with the latest on SMU commits and visitors from last week's win over Liberty.
Pony StampedeFriday at 6:00 AM
Commitment Impact: Everett RaySMU landed its second 2017 commitment Thursday with forward Everett Ray’s pledge. PonyStampede breaks down his decision.
Pony StampedeThursday at 6:00 AM
Elijah Landrum talks commitment to SMU2017 point guard Elijah Landrum talked with Pony Stampede about his decision to commit to SMU.
Pony StampedeMonday at 5:00 AM