NBA scouts visit practice
There were multiple scouts at practice today from a number of NBA teams. The Atlanta Hawks sent one of their scouts named Jeff Peterson. He also serves as the team's coordinator of basketball operations. He seemed very impressed with Jalen Jones. The Golden State Warriors had Larry Harris, who is their basketball consultant and a team scout, at practice with his father. The Los Angeles Lakers also had a scout at practice, but I was unable to talk to him. Coach KT Turner said after practice that it was a 'cool opportunity' for the SMU players, but he didn't want them to focus on the NBA this early.
Frazier shines on the defensive end
Keith Frazier had a very impressive practice today, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He worked really hard to defend his man throughout practice and ran the floor really well. The highlight of practice was when Frazier stole the ball from Jean-Michael Mudiay, went coast to coast and finished with a thunderous slam. Frazier also ran down Johnathon Wilfong from behind on a fast break and swatted his layup attempt out of bounds. Larry Brown and Eric Snow were very complimentary of Frazier throughout practice, and he responded well with some terrific play.
Moore shows athleticism
Ben Moore also had a very productive day on the practice court. He used his length and athleticism to show he can be a terrific defender. He also threw down a couple big dunks and worked hard on the glass. Moore is very quiet during practice and rarely talks to his teammates or coaches. He seems to be always listening and soaking up as much information as possible. Coach Turner called Moore 'a coaches dream' because of his combination of talent and work ethic.
• Nic Moore, Markus Kennedy, Crandall Head and Sterling Brown were not at practice today
• Coach Ulric Maligi was also not in attendance. He's probably out recruiting as you read this
• Associate head coach Tim Jankovich constantly reminded the team to communicate and talk with one another when on the court together. He also preached playing hard at all times
• Jalen Jones threw down three or four big dunks
• Nick Russell made a couple nice passes and crossed Jean-Micheal Mudiay so badly that Mudiay fell to the ground
• Kevin Dunleavy and Cannen Cunningham struggled a little bit with poor shot selection and bad positioning
• The entire Dallas Life Oak Cliff Lions basketball team was at the first half of practice to watch
Hoops Practice Notebook
Pony Stampede Top Stories
Game Preview: SMU vs. TempleScott previews SMU's road matchup against Temple to open AAC play on Saturday on ESPNews.
Pony StampedeThursday at 9:35 AM
Five Players to Watch: SMU vs. TempleDemo breaks down five players to watch for SMU against Temple on Saturday.
Pony StampedeWednesday at 2:24 PM
Pony Stampede Podcast Sept. 28Come inside another edition of the Pony Stampede Podcast for the latest on the SMU hoops team and a TCU game breakdown.
Pony StampedeTuesday at 10:59 PM
2018 offensive lineman has SMU near the topBilly talked with 2018 Highland Park (Tex.) offensive lineman Thomas Shelmire about his recent SMU visit and recruitment.
Pony StampedeTuesday at 9:00 AM