Brown preaches speed
Larry Brown pushed his team to play faster throughout practice. He emphasized the depth of the roster and said they could ‘wear teams out with it.' Brown made players who weren't consistently sprinting on every play do push-ups as punishment. He kept referring back to the practice film he has been watching and expects his team to run hard all game. Brown also loves how well the team moves the ball around.
Williams shows leadership
Senior Shawn Williams has really stepped up as a leader so far this season. He is the first player out at practice every day and has been very vocal with his teammates. The coaches really like the progress he has made and appreciate how hard he works. Williams will be one of the best shooters on the team this season and one of the only seniors.
Freshman duo fitting in nicely
Both Sterling Brown and Ben Moore look much more experienced than a pair of freshman. Moore continues to show his freak athleticism and does a good job utilizing his terrific length. Brown, meanwhile, is a good passer and moves well off the ball. Both players can be out of place at times on offense, but they are both eager to learn and improve.
• The second half of practice was closed as the team prepared for a scrimmage against Texas Tech tomorrow
• Eric Snow pulled a couple players to the side and worked on their passing with them throughout the day
• Cannen Cunningham had a very good practice, he has really worked on his midrange game
• Crandall Head, Markus Kennedy, and Nic Moore missed another practice
• Yanick Moreira had a doctor's appointment and did not attend either, but I spoke to him beforehand and will have a story on him next week.
• KT Turner was out on a recruiting trip but Ulric Maligi was back today
• The head coach of the Manitowoc Ships was also in attendance
Hoops Practice Notebook
Pony Stampede Top Stories
Three Up Three Down: SMU vs. TCUPatrick picks three ups and three downs from SMU's 33-3 loss vs. TCU on Friday night at Ford Stadium.
Pony StampedeFriday at 9:00 PM
Rapid Reaction: SMU vs. TCUSMU lost to TCU 33-3 on Friday night at Ford Stadium to drop to 2-2 on the season.
Pony StampedeFriday at 2:29 PM
FREE Pony Stampede Hilltop Review: Sept. 23Come inside this free edition of the Pony Stampede Hilltop Review with the latest on SMU commits and visitors from last week's win over Liberty.
Pony StampedeFriday at 6:00 AM
Commitment Impact: Everett RaySMU landed its second 2017 commitment Thursday with forward Everett Ray’s pledge. PonyStampede breaks down his decision.
Pony StampedeThursday at 6:00 AM
Elijah Landrum talks commitment to SMU2017 point guard Elijah Landrum talked with Pony Stampede about his decision to commit to SMU.