VIDEO: Larry Brown
VIDEO: KT Turner
Head Shines Bright
Crandall Head was the top performer at today's practice. After a turnover early in practice, Head picked up his energy and was making plays all over the court, including picking off a pass from Jalen Jones and taking it all the way for a dunk and being the recipient of a perfect lob pass from Markus Kennedy for another slam. After practice coach Ulric Maligi said about Head, "He's been working hard for us. He brings a lot of energy in transition and plays good defense. He'll play both guard positions for us this year."
Frazier Up And Down
Keith Frazier had a mixed practice today. While he was out on the court practicing his three-point shot before the team went into the locker room for a fifty minute film session, Frazier was inconsistent and often showed his frustration with himself. Frazier shot the ball well throughout but Coach Larry Brown constantly had to correct Frazier on his floor spacing on offense and positioning on defense. One of Frazier's mentors, Coach Tony Johnson of the Dallas Mustangs, was in attendance and said of Frazier and his frustration at practice, "He's never been corrected on what he does wrong before. But that's why he chose to play for Larry Brown." On the positive side, Frazier made up for his mental errors with numerous hustle plays to save balls from going out of bounds and in transition, such as his monster block on Sterling Brown towards the end of practice. After Coach Brown ended practice, Frazier picked up right where he left off, practicing his three-pointer.
Moreira Gets An Ear Full
The coaches were on Yanick Moreira's case for most of the practice. Tim Jankovich was urging the center to hurry up the floor in transition while Maligi and coach K.T. Turner told him to be patient on defense and not leave his defender. But Moreira was better at holding onto the ball and stayed after practice to work on his offense with Coach Brown.
Human Highlight Reel
Nic Moore provided most of the highlights today. In transition he bounced the ball off the backboard to Ben Moore for the dunk. Nic also cut through the defense regularly for layup opportunities. During one fast break, the 5-foot-9 point guard finished one finger-roll over Kennedy and Ryan Manuel. Moore also looked good shooting threes and long twos, but his mid-range jumper was not falling today. On the defensive end, Moore was solid and earned praise from his head coach.
• All fifteen players participated in practice today.
• Coach Brown seemed very frustrated by Jalen Jones's performance today. Jones turned over the ball a few times and looked dejected by the end of practice.
• As usual, coaches had nothing but praise for Ben Moore. Other than the street-style alley-oop from Nic earlier in practice, his highlight was a big block on Cannen Cunningham. At one point Coach Brown even said, "Ben, you should never come out."
• Sterling Brown was having fun throwing no-look passes to his teammates during practice. He was surprisingly accurate with a couple of nice bounce passes to Moreira for easy buckets.
• Cunningham played strong on defense but couldn't hold onto to the ball on the offensive end.
• Shawn Williams had a good practice. He was on the court early practicing his free throws and hustled hard on both ends of the floor.
• Dallas Mustangs coach Tony Johnson was impressed with the practice."They're going to be good this year," he said.
Hoops Practice Notebook
Pony Stampede Top Stories
The Hilltop Review 7/21Come inside the Pony Stampede Hilltop Review for the latest on SMU hoops and football recruiting targets.
Pony StampedeYesterday at 6:00 AM
Second July Live Period SMU UpdatesBe sure to be following along on Pony Stampede for the latest on SMU hoops recruiting including where and who the staff is watching during the second July Live Period.
Pony StampedeThursday at 3:01 PM
Kyler Edwards talks June visits, SMU interestThree-star Arlington (Texas) Bowie guard Kyler Edwards broke down his June visits and discussed the his interest in SMU with PonyStampede at the Phenom Hoops Summer Havoc…
Pony StampedeThursday at 1:20 PM
SMU Position Primer: Defensive BacksSMU's looks to fill the big voids left by Darrion Millines and Horace Richardson in the secondary.
Pony StampedeThursday at 8:10 AM