Raymond Epps Making an Impact
Raymond Epps was one of the notable players in Saturday's practice. He dominated Kyran Mitchell in the Mustang drill with some overpowering blocks, and made some impressive catches in 11-on-11s. Chad Morris has also been impressed with what Epps can do as a leader, given his age.
"He brings a lot of maturity to this football team and a lot of experience," Morris said of Epps. "He played in an offense that's extremely similar to what we are in Arizona State. His knowledge, his wisdom as a player, making plays, he made several plays the other day in our half-scrimmage. He's definitely having a great time being that leader."
Wide Receiver Competition Notes
Trey Quinn had a big practice on Saturday, and is impressing the coaching staff. Morris says that Quinn should play "a whole bunch" this season. Morris wants to see improvement in Alex Honey and Josh Shelmire this spring.
"It's time for Alex to become a really solid player for us and understand what his role is on this football team," he said.
As for Shelmire, Morris said he is still learning the offense and the game of football, but thinks he will be just fine.
- After being limited in practice on Saturday, Bryce Wilds was a full go today.
- Mitchell Kaufman has been out, he expects to be back this week.
- Morris said that Elijah McQueen has "caught everybody's attention", making an impact in his short time at SMU.
- Delontae Scott made a big play in the Mustang drill, recording a strip.
- Ken McLaurin killed Harrison Barton in the Mustang drill, knocking him down multiple times.
- Morris expects Jordan Wyatt and Justin Lawler to be the main leaders of the defense. He also expects Mason Gentry, Kyran Mitchell and Demerick Gary to take leadership roles.
Chad Morris Press Conference